Can you support CaringBridge during our Fall giving campaign? Generous donors like you ensure that CaringBridge remains ad-free, private and protected.
Jun 28, 2018
Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting.
June 22, 2018 On May 9th, Robin announced to us all that she was being evaluated for pancreatic cancer. This came as a huge shock to her and all of us after discounting her stomach area pains as severe indigestion or a gall bladder attack.
Here are Robin’s words that she shared on Face Book May 18th. I want to thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. Please don't stop. I am about to start on a new chapter in my life, which I will face head on as I always do. This will be a journey of deep reflection and self discovery. I learned this morning that I do indeed have pancretic cancer. I will face this as I always do. Head on full steam ahead. It will start with chemo, followed by surgery to remove pretty much all of my pancreas. This IS cureable but I will need your help, gonna be a long 6 months. Positive thoughts are what I need. I refuse to ask myself "why me" why anyone? No answer. It is what it is. Time to put on my big girl panties and deal with it!
Take nothing for granted my friends, one day at a time and please STOP sweating the small stuff....... it,'s all small stuff. I actually have that book. I love you all
She wrote more encouraging news on May 21:
Okay, time for an update. Saw my ongologist this morning. Looks like surgery first to remove about 2,/3 of the pancreas, followed by chemo. This is actually really good news as they caught this very early, which is why they want surgery now, before it grows. Then we will do the chemo. Still looking at about 4 to 6 months of being down, but overall a good prognosis.
They actually found it by accident LOL lucky me. Thought it was just really bad heart burn:)
Keep those positive thoughts comin'. It means a lot!
Robin - June 1 Okay, time for an update. I saw my oncologist yesterday and plans have changed just a bit.my chart is niw with the experts up on the hill at OSHU. Their "tumor" board will be reviwing my tests and scans next Thursday morning. They will then reccomend the best course of chemo and radiation before surgery. Looks like I will be part of a clinical trial. I will know more when I see Dr. Haung again next Thursday afternoon. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers
Later June 1 - afternoon Time for another update. Timeline has changed a bit. My chart and scans will be reviewed by OSHU's Tumor Board on Thursday morning. They will then recommend a course of chemo and radiation prior to surgery. Looks like they want me to participate in a clinical trial. I will see my oncologist again Thursday afternoon and will have more concrete information then. Hurry up and wait:)
Robin - June 7 Okay - time for an update. My game of hurry up and wait continues. The tumor board won't be meeting until next Weds now, so I see the oncologist Thursday morning. I do have an appointment however with a surgeon Monday morning. Will keep you all posted as we go along
Lorraine - June 21 Since then, Robin has had a port placed for chemo treatments. Monday she will have an endoscopy for more evaluation of the tumor and probable placement of stents to bypass the pancreas. (Do I have that correct Robin?)
Robin - June 24
This update is long overdue, I know. The last couple of weeks have been non stop Dr. appointments and medical procedures. I have been given a lot of information and to be honest it has taken awhile to absorb, wrap my head around and process it all.
The tumor board met last week and decided that AT THIS TIME the tumor is non operative. This is due to the fact that it has wrapped it's self around the celiac artery that runs through the pancreas.
I do now have a port in place for chemo that lies just below the clavicle. Resistance was futile, I have been assimilated:).
They were all set to start chemo when my liver decided to join the party. I seem to be turning a not so attractive shade of yellow. Apparently my Billyrubins ( funny name for liver enzymes) are quite elevated. Most likely due to the pancreas not properly draining and affecting the liver.
I am scheduled tomorrow for an ERCB (lengthy endoscopy) to see about putting a stent into my pancreas
I cannot start chemo with my enzymes so high. they are hoping this will help bring those down. when it does start, it will be 3 weeks of chemo, 1 week off and a solid week of daily radiation. This will go on for 2 months minimum.
In the meantime my surgeon will be keeping a close eye on my scans and at the first sign of enough shrinkage will take me into surgery.
I just want to thank you all again for your support.