To all Friends and Family:
As many of you know, Rita, has been fighting Mantle Cell Lymphoma for the past year and has been kicking cancer’s ass -she has been in remission for the past 3 months!
Rita’s doctors at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSKCC) have decided that the next step for Rita, which is 85 to 90% curative, is to have an allogeneic bone marrow transplant. Details regarding the transplant can be explained here (https://www.giftoflife.org/page/content/learnmore
The search began for a donor in early September, and we have been very lucky that a donor has been found that is a 95% match. As such, Rita will enter MSKCC on Wednesday November 23rd to begin the process. For the first 5 days she will undergo intense Chemo Therapy and some radiation to essentially kill all of her existing red and white blood cells any of her existing bone marrow that is causing the lymphoma. On the 5th or 6th day of her hospitalization her transplant will commence.
During her time at the hosptail, Rita will have an extremely compromised immune system and will be in the 8th floor isolation wing of MSKCC. She is allowed visitors but the following protocol must be observed:
· Upon entering the wing, you will be asked to wear a hospital gown, gloves and a mask
· We ask that if you wish to visit, she would be more than happy to see you, provided she is up to it
· You should not attempt to visit her if you have a fever, cold, sore throat or have been exposed to any contagious disease
· Needless to say no children under the age of 12 are permitted to visit
· During her stay at MSKCC she will not be allowed to have any flowers, plants, fresh fruit or any outside food
Rita is expected to remain in the hospital for 4 weeks, give or take, depending upon how long it takes for the new bone marrow to begin generating new and healthy red and white blood cells.
During this time Rita is expected to be quite weak and I have asked her to turn her phone off while she is napping and/or sleeping. So if your phone calls go to voice mail, I am sure you will understand.
You can reach me on my cell phone at all times 201-390-2062 or on my email at firstname.lastname@example.org (mailto:email@example.com).
Love to all
Len & Rita