Richard Entralgo

First post: Nov 22, 2017 Latest post: Jan 5, 2018
It started Tuesday, November 14, 2017.

Richard complained of an optic migraine. He had a ringing in his right ear, sensation like he was going to faint but he was sitting down, it just lasted a moment and when he felt better he had a visual episode as if a migraine was starting. He came home from work and wanted to rest. 

Wednesday morning he woke up still having a headache and vision loss on the right side. After checking his blood pressure we made an appointment with his primary care Dr. On the way to the Dr. he asked three separate times where we were going and who he was going to see. Despite having no signs of a stroke she sent him to the ER. A CAT scan revealed he had a stroke. He was admitted to Sugar Land Methodist.

Thursday morning he had a bubble echocardiogram done where we found out he had a hole in his heart and that afternoon an MRI was done to determine the damage from the stroke. 

Friday morning (1 AM) his nurse stated when she checked on him he was disoriented; he didn't know who he was or where he was. He was immediately taken to ICU to be evaluated. After an emergency MRI it was determined he had a hemorrhagic stroke again and emergency surgery needed to be done to release pressure from his brain. There were complications during surgery; he lost over 3 liters of blood due to the blood thinner he had been on and with controlling the bleeding they had to remove some brain matter. After surgery and speaking to the neurosurgeon he painted a gloomy picture of what his recovery would look like if he survived. 

After back in ICU they discovered new clots had formed in his other leg despite the blood thinner he had been on. Friday evening they implanted a mesh screen in his abdomen arty to prevent any clots from traveling to his heart and brain. The task now was to determine what was making his blood bleed/clot simultaneously Catch 22 number one.

Saturday a hematologist was consulted. She started him on a frozen plasma/platelet/blood treatment attempting to stabilize his clotting factors and get his blood counts up to a safe level. We were told by the neurologist that he was still at risk to hemorrhage and if it happened he could not perform surgery because he would bleed out. Catch 22 number two. 

Sunday levels started to rise but Richard still remained in critical condition. Richard was sedated to remain calm and rest but was responding to people's voices and opening his eyes some, even smiled. He breathed on his own for about two and a half hours. Breathing treatments were given because of phlegm build up. 

Monday oxygen levels dropped over night breathing treatments continued and we found out he has an infection in his right lung and pneumonia. Blood levels and CAT scan remained "stable", no new bleeders. The hematologist wanted a MRI of his liver but a full body CAT scan with contrast was done instead due to his instability. This was going to give more insight on his brain/lungs/liver.

Results showed numerous spot on his liver, swelling and a mass on his pancreas, and fluid around his lungs. The hematologist wants to get a biopsy done to confirm suspicion of pancreatic cancer but a biopsy can't be done until he's stable. They started feeding him. Oxygen levels were strong, only on 50% machine.
Richard is hanging in and fighting hard! We appreciate all your prayers, love, and support. We will update as we can.

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Richard’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register