Patrice Grande Patrice's Quest

First post: Aug 13, 2017 Latest post: Oct 10, 2017
Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting.

O July 20th (my 63rd birthday) I decided to go see my primary care physician's assistant since I had not felt well for about 6 weeks. When I described the discomfort of back and abdominal feelings, she said that was easy, it was most likely my gall bladder. On July 25th She  scheduled  me up for an ultrasound. She called me that afternoon and asked me to come in. I knew something was up since she didn't relay the ultrasound results over the phone. She told me there was a mass on my pancreas and nodules too many to count on my liver. Needless to say I was stunned. She also scheduled me for a CAT scan a couple of days later.

At that time I told Beth I preferred to be treated at Dana Farber or Mass. General. She  scheduled an appointment with Dr. Tom Abrams for Aug. 1.  Dr. Abrams was kind, direct, and frank . He said I had stage 4 pancreatic cancer that had metastasized to my liver. He recommended a liver biopsy, blood work, and a port placement  then a round of chemo. He said I had 11 1/2 months possibly 18 months to live. Scheduling was underway. I have to let everyone know my friends, Janis and Scilla accompanied me to the first appoint at Dana Farber. On Aug. 4 another team of friends, Janis, Rosalie, and Moe accompanied me to Dana Farber for the liver biopsy. We had fun taking Ubers in and out of Boston from Moe's home in Melrose. It was so helpful not to deal with the traffic and have the support of my friends.

They took 6 samples of liver tissue and I am still waiting for results. Dr. Abrams called and left a message that my blood work showed some abnormalities so he wanted me to have a bile duct stent inserted into a compressed bile duct. The appointment was scheduled for Monday, Aug. 7th at 6:45. Janis and I stayed in Brookline Sunday night. She left the car at Brigham and Women's garage. The port placement was scheduled for noon. After much research and contemplation, I decided I preferred to go a naturapathic route. I did not have the port placement. The worst part of the day was when we got to the car it did not start . Security tried to help but was not successful. TripleA saved the day and we were able to make  our way back to Rockport. Instead of arriving home at noon, we got back at 4. I certainly was not a bit of help to poor Janis, who has been more than supportive.

Miracles really do happen and I was able to see Dr. Bier (naturopathic onocologist) on Aug. 9th . My appointment was scheduled for Sept. 19th. He was kind and thorough. He recommended following a high protein diet, taking supplements, and partaking in treatments ( vitamin c infusion, hyperbaric oxygen, and far infrared sauna). I had the first vitamins treatment on Aug. 9th, started the diet and supplements on Aug. 10th . I have to take about 70 pills each day - a quite a bit to swallow. Treatments will be weekly.

Simultaneously while all  the medical appointments and procedures were taking place, my good friend, Barbara, has been performing crystal hearings on me. She is a gifted woman!

I am so grateful to all my friends for the outpouring of support, concern, and love. I have found such strength in your kind words,thoughts, and prayers. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I am determined to conquer this cancer with the unconventional treatment and then become a spokesperson for alternative therapies.

I will update the blog when I feel up to it.

Thanks again.
With love, 

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Patrice’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register