Pam Lacey

First post: Nov 8, 2016 Latest post: Nov 17, 2016
Hello family and friends, I was recommended to this web sight to keep everyone up to date on my mom Pam. She was hit head on by a mountain biker while we were hiking up willow trail in laguna beach on 11/6. The biker rounded the corner and didn't say left and didn't say right and so i jumped left and my mom went right expecting him to go in between up and he went left and hit her. He flipped over her and she flew backwards with the hit and he and his bike semi collided with her face. I ran over to her and saw there was blood coming from the back of her head. I immediately took off my shirt and put pressure on the place i thought was bleeding without moving her head to much, I told her to keep her eyes open and stay with me and to stay awake. I then called 911 and they told me to do the same thing.  They asked for an exact location and because we were on a mountain side it would be difficult to get to. A couple people stopped so I used there phone to get a better location and they then asked if we had anything that could be used to signal the helicopter. I took off my jacket and gave it to one of the people that stopped to signal them. They sent 2 helicopters, 1 black and white and another solid black and that was the sheriff. The sheriffs chopper flew over head and i shielded my mom from the dirt with my body the best I could. The sheriffs were on scene first and had me hold her head still for a C-spine. Then the fire department came to assist and the police department and the park rangers. There was a squabble over who's jurisdiction it was till i screamed at them to stop and focus on my mom. The Sherffis assisted by fire then put a neck brace on her and put her on a stretcher and hooked a medic to the stretcher with her and lifted her in the air attached to the helicopter and flew her to mission hospital in mission viejo. I rode down with the park rangers and they got all the info and dropped my at my car. The man who hit her stayed to help and was obviously shaken and rode done to the bottom to see if he could do anything.
 I raced to the hospital to be greeted by a spiritual councilor. She got some of my info and the medic in the Chopper met me and did as well. I was then introduced to one of the doctors on her case and he told me that she was riding a mountain bike with no helmet and crashed to which i quickly corrected (miss info due to the squabble no doubt). He then told me that she was fine until she arrived at the hospital and had a seizure and thats when her mental state diminished. he also said she had a gash on the right side of her head and an epidermal hemotoma and that was pushing on the left side of her brain which required immediate emergency surgery that i needed to okay being her next of kin. I said okay and they took me to her and i prayed with the councilor over her and she went into surgery. My grandmother and aunt and uncle arrived shortly after and waited with me till her surgery was done 1 hour 30 min after. They said it went fine and they patched her up fine and we could see her soon. She was sedated and is hooked to machines to monitor her vitals and has a breathing tube. She is still sedated and has been all day today (11/7). Tomorrow they are going to take out the breathing tube and try to wake her and get her responsive to commands. Thanks for all your prayers will continue to update this sight as we know more.

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Pam’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register