Olivia Grieser Olivia Dixie Grieser

First post: Nov 2, 2009 Latest post: Oct 25, 2020
We've created a website to keep family and friends updated about Olivia.  For those of you who may not know, Olivia our 16 month old daughter is in critical condition in the Pediatrics Intensive Care Unit at Children's Hospital in Omaha.

Visit often to read the latest journal entries, visit the photo gallery, and write us a note in our guestbook.

Hi!  I'm Olivia Grieser, and I am a little lamb of God that has graciously been granted more time here on earth.    We are grateful to God for the opportunity to be able to tell this story.  My Mom started to write this journal for me a few days ago.  I'd like to share this with you too...of course, this dates back a few days, but we will get you caught up to date as of today, November 2.

October 30, it was nearly two years ago to the day that my Momma told Daddy that I was a brewin', and they would have a new arrival in June 2008.  Fast forward to today, and we anxiously await a different kind of news.  This news includes CT Scans, MRI's, Congestive heart failure, pneumonia in all four lobes, liver failure, neurological insult due to a lack of oxygen and blood to my brain.   My kidneys seem to be good because I can potty, so that's one bright spot.  Maybe we should start with how we got here.

I had common flu like symptoms, some congestion and fever about a week ago, but the fever never seemed to want to break and the symptoms worsened.  We went to the Doctor on Saturday, October 24 but all the cultures came back negative for Influenza A and B and Strep.  I was sent home with an all clear.  My oxygen levels were good, so not much concern.  Monday morning, the Doctor office called to say the long Strep test was positive, so off we went to get medicine.

The symptoms of my illness carried on until Tuesday, October 27.  I showed some signs of improvement (fever broke in the morning), but by afternoon the initial symptoms from the weekend returned.   It was time to get to the doctor quick.  You know that Momma's intuition.  We got to the Doctor office by  late afternoon, and oxygen levels were 87% (should be over 90%).  I was headed to Bryan East to be admitted. 

Tuesday night was rough.  I couldn't get comfortable, and the oxygen levels would not sustain in the 90's.  I was extremely agitated to the point where Momma could not comfort me.   Wednesday morning they took a second chest x-ray to look at my lungs.  I had pneumonia.  The Doctor said that I would worsen before I would improve.  Little did we know how fast this would happen. 

By 1pm, Doctor decided I should be transported to Omaha to Children's.  The area of expertise had surpassed their knowledge.  Thank goodness the doctors were humble enough to know when I needed more help than they could provide.  God had a hand in this!

The next part of this update is hard for Mom to write, so perhaps she will take a break now and continue typing additional journal entries later...it will be today, November 2.  Stay tuned!

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Olivia’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register