Nikki Boudreaux

First post: Sep 30, 2011 Latest post: Oct 6, 2016
Welcome to Nikki's website. We've created it to keep friends and family updated about her continued progress. Get started by reading the introduction to our website, My Story as well as the continued journal entries.

Visit often to read the latest journal entries, visit the photo gallery, and write us a note in our guestbook.

"Just the facts" as to how we got where we are now. On Thursday, 9/29/11, Nikki suffered a bleed on the left side of her brain related to an AVM, and arterial-veinal malformation. In short, she had a high pressure artery pumping blood into a low pressure vein. This condition existed since her birth, and could have bled at any time. It just happened to do so on Thursday.The bleed had nothing to do with her recent training and completion of the Ironman 70.3 triathlon. The timing was just coincidental. Fortunately, she was at the gym when it happened, so she was surrounded by people who called for help immediately.Initially in the ER Nikki lost some vision in her right eye and loss of motor function on the right side of her body. She has gradually regained that function and is steadily improving. Surgeons will need to repair the AVM, but need to wait until the inflammation to subside prior to the surgery. The AVM is deep in the brain in the temporal lobe, and this fact brings into play potential damage from the surgery. However, we have the greatest faith in her surgeon, and we're confident she will pull through just fine.The name of the game is wait. Waiting to have the surgery, then waiting to assess the results and project the rehab process.

The surgery was done on 10/6/11.  Although she was scheduled to be in surgery for four hours, the surgery lasted seven and a half hours.  Surprisingly when she go back into the room in ICU, they woke her up, and she was able to respond to us and communicate at least as well as she did prior to the surgery.  That was a huge relief, because the surgeon was concerned that the surgery itself could cause additional damage and further setbacks.

One week later, two weeks after the AVN rupture, Nikki was released from the hospital.  Although we were braced for a month or more in ICU with six months to follow as an inpatient in a rehab facility, Nikki's amazing recovery allowed her to go home.  She has a long road ahead to recover physically and mentally, but it is a huge relief that we can start the process in our home.