Nicholas Fischer Nick's Transplant Journey

First post: Feb 25, 2020 Latest post: Oct 1, 2020
Welcome to Nick's CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated on Nick's progress throughout his transplant journey. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. 

Nick began the journey in the first part of November 2018 when he decided to put his name on the lung transplant list.  Three days later he received the first call; it was a Saturday evening. Everyone was shocked, excited and hurried to get ready. Within an hour, Nick and his mother were flying to Minneapolis. The rest of the family drove through the night to get to the University of Minnesota Medical Center in Minneapolis. Upon arrival Nick started various preparations for the surgery including anti-rejection medications.  After hours of waiting, several more in the pre-operating room, numerous medical professionals explaining the various steps in the process, the surgeon came in and said the lungs were "no good", this is called a "dry run". So everyone drove home that day, exhausted physically and emotionally.

Nick's health declined after the "dry run".  In January, his overall health improved slightly with some changes to his medication. In November 2019, Nick was approved to start on the revolutionary new CF drug called "Trikafta". While it did not effect Nick to the extent of others, it did lead him to be in the best condition that he has been in the last two years.  This is a blessing going though the transplant process, as it will improve the rate of recovery. He chose to remain on the list without knowing when he when he would receive the next call. Nick still had his "transplant bag" packed and ready to go at a moments notice for when he might receive a call. This was just one small thing that showed his steady faith in God's plan. 

Nick received his second call on Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 11:30pm. Lung transplant recipients always have the option to decline an offer, but without hesitation he said YES! By 1:00am Nick and his mother were on a medical emergency flight out of Yankton and the rest of the family drove through the night.  Nick and his mother arrived within an hour of takeoff at the airport in Minneapolis and were transported by ambulance to the University of Minnesota Medical Center. The family arrived around 8AM. Monday was full of waiting since getting to the pre-operation room seemed to take longer than expected and wondering if this was going to be another "dry run" even though the surgeon called the lungs "golden". Finally at 2pm, Nick went back into pre-op. After more medication, more waiting, and more medical professionals, at 5:30pm they finally took Nick in for surgery. The surgery team gave updates every two hours via phone calls. At 12:30am, the surgeon came out and told the family that everything went well. Now the journey continues....

Throughout this journey, Nick's faith has not wavered. It is hard to express in words how calm Nick has been throughout the challenges from Cystic Fibrosis including his declining ability to pursue the things he enjoyed. He continued to trust that God had a plan and expressed a peace beyond understanding. Before surgery he expressed no fear because God is in control, Nick even prayed for peace for the family and the need to trust in Him. This confidence in God's plan and peace with the unknown that he displayed during the journey has made this difficult journey easier for the family.

We cannot thank the prayer warriors enough for all the prayers through this journey!