Chris Traver

What started off as an ordinary day on Feb 14th with a planned visit to the Oregon Zoo turned in to the beginning of one of the roughest weeks of my adult life. I went to what was supposed to be a follow up blood draw appointment only to find out that I needed to met with a doc at the Urgent Care clinic based on something they found in my original blood draw on Feb 6th. When I met with the doc, I was told that they were VERY concerned about something they found in my labs + VERY high blood pressure and I needed to go to the ER immediatly. I left, went to pick up Kittie and we headed to Milwaukie Providence's ER. With in a few hours of arriving at Mil Prov, I "crashed". I was NOT doing well at all. It was decided that I was in bad enough shape that I needed to be transferred to Portland Prodidence Hospital for further care and evaluation by a team of specialists. I was transported via ambulance transport with a paramedic by my side the entire way while hooked up to machines. Apparantly they were very concerned that my condition would decline very quickly. When I arrived at Portland Prov, I was transferred to a room within minutes. Shortly after I arrived, I already started meeting my team of doctors, residents and nurses. I was under 24 hour care for 5 days in the hospital. So, what happened? The basics. A day or two before I was released from the hospital, I reached end stage CKD - Kidney Disease (Stage V). When I was admitted, I was at Stage IV and worsening. In just a few days, my numbers rose (Creat levels). Rising levels are NOT a good thing. Currently, based on my most recent labs, I am at 13% Kidney function. My kidneys have little to no chance at this point of recovering. Lot's of options are being considered - including transpant - at this point by my medical team of medical doctors and specialists. Needless to say, it has been a very rough journey thus far. With the support of my amazing wife, we're working with my team of docs to get things figured out. So many changes in such a short time. My life is completly different than it was just a month ago. Oh, and add to that as if that was not enough fun ... did I mention that I also have Congestive Heart Failure? Something that can happend in lockstep with CKD. My heart function is at 39%. Unlike my kidneys, my heart condition has a chance to recover pending my many meds, treatments and diet changes are successful. I meet with my cardiologist for a follow up the end of this week.

Going forward, I have many appointments with Nephrology, Cardiology and Primary Care. With that, I have access to dieticians, cardiac advice nurses and so many more folks to assist with my care. Eventually, other docs and specilists will come into play. I also have to keep very very close track of my vitals - BP, Weight, Temp, Diet + Fluid Restrictions and so on...

There is an old saying that basically says something like "you just never know what is going to happen". Well, it's true!

People are beginning to ask what they can do to help. At this point? Prayer! Eventually, as we get things sorted out, I am sure that list may grow.

Long story short. I physically hurt most of the time. I now walk with a cane. But mostly? I am just very tired.

At least I have my family standing with me. That's means the world to me.

#MyCKDLife (

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Chris’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register