The hub for updates about the beloved Michelle Barone. Send well wishes and feel free to ask questions. Hello,
Hannah here. There has been a lot going on this past year regarding my mom's health. She has been managing well, but this past week there have been new developments and we want to update family and friends.
10 months ago her right breast because inflamed and she went for a thermography. They found a small (2cm) tumor behind her nipple and it was cancerous.
She wanted to take an alternative route, and found an integrative medical center in Irvine.
She was going there about 2 days a week doing various treatments. And also in May she did 10 rounds of low dose 20% chemo.
The type of breast cancer she has is Inflammatory breast which effects the skin and creates a wound/scab. Not fun. But the chemo helped treat that and new skin is growing back.
Cut to 2 weeks ago she had PET scan which the Doctors do after the chemo treatment and we were told on friday the 15th that it had spread to her hip bone. Not great news obviously, but okay. Her doctor told her she had done everything they offer for integrative care and that she should find a new treatment option.
That same day she also had an IV port that was in her chest removed because it got infected.
Came home. and for this past week she was nauseas/vomiting and had a bad headache. We thought it was from the antibiotic they gave her, and because she was dehydrated.
Wednesday the 20th my brother took her to UCLA because that was the first appointment we could get. That consult was fine and she felt good about it.
Friday the 22nd she really wasn't good in the morning and I told her we would need to go to the ER to get her rehydrated.
We got a call from UCLA to come down for a breast biopsy. She and I came down and my brother's girlfriend Marina met us here.
They did the biopsy and she was faint and threw up after the procedure.
Luckily the ER was across the street and we got her in there.
Because her headache and nausea were not improving with meds. They did a CT scan of her head and admitted her into general hospital for the night and I stayed with her.
Saturday the 23rd Jeremiah came to be with us.
Results of the CT scan is that she has many spots/legions on her brain from the cancer.
She is now in the Oncology ward and is on track to start radiation treatment on her head asap. Still waiting for tests and reports to be done, and to figure out if her breast or hip will also be treated with radiation or chemo etc. But her head is of the most concern right now.
Between friday and now the spots on her brain are effecting her speech. She can understand us, and respond. Most of her responses are appropriate, but she is confused sometimes when asked where she is/what year/who is the president etc. And she knows she is confused and tells us. She is relatively okay considering everything.
I know this is a lot of information to digest, considering you haven't been in the know. She was hoping to take care of the breast and could tell people once it was all said and done.
Me, Jeremiah, his girlfriend, and my dad are all together and taking turns staying the night.
It is so beyond difficult, but we are holding it together and know we are in the right place for her to get the help she needs.
I will be setting up a Caring Bridge account where you can sign up for updates, and that makes it easier on us than contacting individuals everyday.
Not sure what else to say. Feel free to ask me any questions. She's had some visitors, but we just need to determine day by depending on what tests and such are happening, and our emotional state as a family. So we will reach out when is good time to visit if you are interested.