Can you support CaringBridge during our March campaign? Generous donors like you ensure that CaringBridge remains ad-free, private and protected.
Feb 17, 2018 Latest post:
Feb 25, 2018
I always hoped that i would never need to set up a Caringbridge website, but there are so many people who want to know how Merv is doing that this seemed to be the best way to go and i am grateful that this site is available to people like me in times of need. For those who didn't know, yesterday, February 16th, Merv had a major heart attack while we were driving in Loreto, the wonderful little Mexican town close to our winter home in Loreto Bay. To say that the event was shocking would be a massive understatement. One moment we were driving calmly along the road, chatting and heading back towards the Highway when Merv catapulted backwards and let out a terrific snort followed by another. I took one look at him and saw that he was unresponsive so I hit the gas and drove through five 4-way stops at top speed and reached the local hospital in five minutes, yelling at him to "Stay with me" all the way. I hit the horn as I drove in and bless their hearts, five medics ran out to help me get him out of the car. He was completely unresponsive and they carried him in on a stretcher and told me to wait outside. I made two hysterical phone calls and within minutes i had friends and Spanish speakers there to help me. I also called the insurance company as I fortunately had all that information with me. I know, when things get tough, the tough get busy. Long story short, they stabilized him at the Loreto hospital and then decided he needed the care of the larger facility in La Paz, so we were loaded into an ambulance and did a 4 1/2 hour drive in 3 1/2 hours. with lights and sirens. Merv would have loved it! At the big, beautiful hospital here he was operated on for 2 hours and stents were inserted to open up the blocked artery. The main concern now is his kidney function which is not good due to the medications. They are going to try flushing them out and if that does not work they will use dialysis. His chances of survival are now at 65% and will increase every day that he survives. I am here with him and trying to be strong and not collapsing into an emotional puddle. Merv would hate that. Thanks for your interest and I will write again soon. Lesley