Melissa Klevans

First post: Jan 31, 2018 Latest post: Sep 11, 2018
Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting.

Hi, my  name is Melissa Klevans. I would like to tell my story if anyone has not heard it before, Back in 2009 we were doing blood work  follow up before my husband retired from the navy.  The doctor said that my white blood count was off. She wanted to send me to a doctor to just check them out. She said it could be nothing just wanted to have it checked out any way. So I did and that's when I found out about mugs which was multiple myeloma  not active yet. I would go to the doctors every  three months and get my blood work then go back the net week and they would tell me I'm ok for  another 3 months. I started getting sick in Nov 2012. I was in the hospital for 3 days @ Baptist south and we tried to get them to Call the cancer doctor at st. Vincent's but no one wanted to call . Then the day before thanksgiving they wanted me to do a bone marrel biopsy. Then my sister law called to ask me if I wanted her to go with me. She new what I had. But I told her I would just go in and get my results and then head into work. But she new better. I went in and then dr stone came in and said did you not bring anybody with you. I said no I didn't think I would need to. He comes in and sets on the little round stool and says this is what's going to happe. I need you and your husband to come in on Dec 12 to start chemo and after that I was dum founded. All I could think was I going to be able to work? Then he wanted me to watch a video on multiple myeloma. So why I was waiting I called my sister law and started crying. Then I tried pulling myself together and tried going into work. Then it really hit me. My boss said to go a head and go home for the rest of the day. I started taking the first set of chemo (valcade) witch did not agree with me. I did the chemo for about a month and a half. Then had to stop. Due to chemo messing with my lungs. My husband called mayo and asked if they did stem cell transplants and they told him yes.. So we made apt to see Dr Sher.  This is when we started going to doctor Sher at Mayo. I have been really glad that my husband called. If not I would have had to go to Gainesville for the transplant by myself. But I got lucky to be able to go to Mayo. Then we talked to dr Sher about doing another chemo called revildmed and I took this and on was on this for 33 months . Then July of 2016 the doctor took me off the chemo and I went a year and half with out chemo. Now Nov of this year my levels have gone up to were they were when I started back in Nov 2012. But I just received my port yesterday and will be starting my first chemo regiment on Feb 13. They say it will be a 10 to 12 hrs of chemo the first time. But I have other things going on as well. I have to go for a endoscopy to find out why my chest has been hurting. But what I was told about this website I can post everyday how I'm doing. I'm going to post the website on FB so if anyone wants to see how I'm doing all they have to do is look me up and sign in on my website for daily updates. I'm going to be possibly going in for the transplant this time. I am so tired of being tired. I'm ready to get my life back to some what normal but there's a long road I have to go down before I can start feeling better. But if everyone well keep me and my family in your prayers. And in advance I would like to thank everyone that will be helping me through my journey. 
Thank you
Missy / Melissa Klevans

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Melissa’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register