Jan 31, 2018 Latest post:
Mar 22, 2018
A little over a year ago a small spot was caught on a mammogram on my right breast. The Dr wanted to “watch” it as they couldn’t find anything on an ultrasound. Six months later I had another ultrasound and nothing had changed so we continued to “watch” the spot. Then this past December the Dr said that nothing changed but the spot was seen on the ultrasound this time after much time searching. He said he wanted to do a biopsy just to know what the spot was and rule out cancer for certain. Well the sample came back as cancer (DCIS) which was Stage 0 cancer. A lumpectomy Surgery was done a week later. The sample from the surgery came back and there was more cancer in the outer area of what was cut out. Right now I am in the process of making decision. The Dr recommends a mastectomy. She doesn’t want to do another surgery just to find out there is cancer in the margins again requiring a third surgery. My decision will be made after a visit with the plastic surgeon. I am leaning toward a double mastectomy to avoid having to go through this all over again if my left breast gets cancer. I am scared, nervous, still in shock and not looking forward to this, but I do put my faith in God to guide the doctors in decisions and to steady their hands in surgery. Due to reconstruction the surgery will be very long which is risky. I will update this site after my appointment on Friday. I know they’ve scheduled the surgery but as of right now, I am waiting for the call. Please keep me and my family in your prayers.