Can you support CaringBridge during our Fall giving campaign? Generous donors like you ensure that CaringBridge remains ad-free, private and protected.
McKenzie Larson's Journey
Oct 20, 2016 Latest post:
Sep 29, 2017
Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting.
McKenzies story started back in June when we started noticing that she was getting several random unexplainable bruises. It was getting worse so we decided it was time to go get checked out. At the end of July Mckenzie went to St Alexis here in Minot where they did a complete blood count. It wasn't twenty minutes later that she got a call telling her that her results were critical and needed to see a hematologist as soon as possible. The next day we were asked to see a hematologist at St Alexis in Bismarck so we left right away that morning. We were at St Alexis for approximately 45 minutes just enough time to start an IV and allow them to look over McKenzies blood results from Minot when they came to say that they did not think they could help us there because of her age and that it could possibly be leukemia. They referred us to Sanford in Bismarck to the pediatric ward where they were there waiting for us. July 27 2016 Mckenzie received her first platelet and blood transfusion. Little did we know this would become a weekly event. July 28 she had a bone marrow aspiration as they were thinking she had leukemia. We were so nervous. That evening were were given the results that she did not have leukemia. The next thought was ITP. That was ruled out in the 29th. Next thought was possibly Aplastic Anemia but they were not totally convinced. Mckenzie was released from sanford Hospital that day with a referral to an adult hemotologist and no sure answers. About a week later we met McKenzies new doctor who by looking at her charts was not convinced that it was Aplastic Anemia. She did several other blood tests, ct scan and experimented with steroids and still no response with her blood counts. She then made her referral to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester. September 20 we went to Mayo where her new doctor looked at all her previous tests and said yes it sure looks like Aplastic Anemia. I guess you could say that was diagnosis day but he still wanted to run more test. They all came back normal. September 20 is also the day we began discussing bone marrow transplant. All three siblings were sent a kit in the mail to get tested. Mckenzie is still going in for platelets and blood weekly while waiting for the test results. A few weeks later the doctor at Mayo called to schedule another test he wanted Mckenzie to come for and to also start medication to boost her binemarrow to eliminate weekly transfusions. When we arrived at the appointment we were given the awesom news that McKenzie had a diner. Maggie was the match. At this point the doctor wanted to consult with one other dictor but also wanted to go ahead and start planning for the transplant at the end of November. We left Mayo with a plan until we got a call from the doctor again that after consulting with the other doctor they would like to wait for the last test result to come back which takes six to eight weeks before they beginning planning. This test is to ensure that this is not genetic before Maggie donates. In the meantime we will start meds to see if we can boost cell counts until the test comes back. So today October 17 we are waiting for that call from the doctor to start preparing for McKenzies bone marrow transplant.