Michael McGrath McGrath's Road 2 Recovery

First post: Feb 13, 2018 Latest post: Aug 30, 2018
PLEASE NOTE: This is not a funding site. Donations made to Caring Bridge do not benefit our family, though we do appreciate those of you who have donated in Mike's name.  We made this site merely to explain Mike's illness and to keep you all updated as his situation is complex and not all that common. I'll do my best here to explain what has occurred so far and what lies ahead:

On January 29th, we rushed Mike to the ER at St. Peter's Hospital in Albany as he was doubled over in pain. We thought his gall bladder might need to be removed due to gall stones. Instead, he was diagnosed with Pancreatitis, and after many days of extreme pain and uncertainty, his health began to turn around. Though he was starting to feel better, we were told by the surgical team at St Peter's (Dr's Heckman and Keim) that his pancreas necrotized 80%, meaning it liquified itself. We were heartbroken to hear it, but still remain hopeful that the remaining 20% will continue to function, though there is no guarantee that will occur. On February 12, Mike was discharged and cleared to attempt to recover from home.

Though his doctors are unsure what caused the issue, what we do know is that Mike has a very long road ahead. Every person's recovery is different, and though they can't tell us how his body will react over the next few weeks, he will likely undergo several procedures to help the healing process including intervention to help drain the area where the pancreas once was as well as possible gall bladder removal. The recovery process is also often rife with set backs, and was described to us as a roller coaster ride. He will have good days, and bad days, and very likely more hospital stays. The doctors told us to plan on Mike being sick until June at the very least. The remaining pancreas may necrotize again, and should that happen he will become a type I diabetic. The prognosis is daunting to say the least, but he is a strong and healthy man, and remains hopeful and positive. I'm incredibly proud of his resolve and patience, he is a warrior.  

Again, we're hoped that by creating this space, we will be able to update all of you who have reached about Mike's illness to show your support and share your love, concerns and prayers. Please feel free to share it with others. There's so much unknown to us, and we'll be taking things day by day. In the meantime, we will do our best to let everyone know just how he is doing and what we're up against on a weekly basis. Together we'll find ourselves on the other side of this in time, and we love you all for being there for us, in big ways and in small. 

Much love, 
Mike, Annie, August & Saoirse (Team McGrath)

READ UP //  Healthline: Necrotizing Pancreatitis Article: https://www.healthline.com/health/digestive-health/necrotizing-pancreatitis#outlook

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Michael’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register