Matthew “Marty” Martinson

First post: Jan 7, 2021 Latest post: Dec 31, 2021
Welcome to Matthew's CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting. Here is his GoFundMe: 

In August of 2020, just two weeks before his 35th birthday, Matthew was diagnosed with Acute Liver Disease after going to the hospital for fluid buildup in his stomach. The doctors came up with a plan for him to have a paracentesis (the draining of fluid from his stomach) done on a monthly basis to help alleviate pressure on his body. As the fluid continued to build in his stomach, that process was completed more frequently. At the same time, Matthew was making healthy and positive changes to his lifestyle. The original diagnosis was hopeful.   The doctors said Matthew was nowhere near needing a liver transplant and that it would be a long way down the road.

Matthew was meeting with his care team regularly and sticking to the plan. When he became sick so suddenly, it was a shock to all of us.

The Sunday after Christmas Matthew was not feeling well at all and thought maybe it was the flu. He felt a little better on Monday, was able to eat a little bit and was even playing video games. But overnight he took a turn for the worse and on Tuesday, December 29th, he was admitted to Mercy Hospital in Coon Rapids.   We found out that he had an infection (sepsis) in his stomach and was anemic, needing a blood transfusion. He was transferred to the ICU on Wednesday and we were told he had a 50/50 chance of making it - his liver failure was now starting to affect the kidneys. By Thursday, the kidneys were starting to shut down some, and by Friday, the liver worsened. On Saturday, the toxins building up in his system from the infection and liver were causing him to be confused and non-verbal. The diagnosis is not in his favor but Matthew is staying strong and fighting hard. We had a feeding tube put in on Sunday to administer nutrition and medicine to help rid the body of toxins and clear up his confusion. Because of this, he has become more lucid and verbal.

As of now, our plan is to continue him on supportive care at Mercy Hospital.

Due to COVID restrictions, it has been very difficult to visit him and we've only been able to see him twice since his stay began, once after invoking our right for a compassionate care visit.

We are overwhelmed by the amount of support we've received from our family, friends, and Matthew's many, many friends who care for him so deeply. We are hoping for a miracle, please continue to keep Matthew and our family in your thoughts and prayers. Thank you all so much!   We will keep you updated.