Mary Panther Mary Wrestles Wegener’s

First post: Mar 24, 2018 Latest post: Jun 26, 2018
Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting.

In January Mary came down with a serious sinus infection. After numerous antibiotics and visits to the doctor,  she still couldn’t seem to get better. During this time she also became anemic.

On February 12th,  she entered the ER with supraventricular tachycardia... which means her heart was beating way too fast. Initial tests indicated that she had pneumonia. Mary was then admitted to Swedish American Hospital in Rockford  for a strong dose of antibiotics, additional tests and observation. She was released on February 16th, with instructions to rest and have follow up visits with various specialists. 

For the following two weeks, she had no improvement and her kidney functions began to deteriorate.

Finally, an Ear, Nose and Throat doctor diagnosed Mary with an autoimmune disease: Wegener’s Disease (Granulomatosis with polyangiitis).  For more information, check out the Mayo Clinic website - it is very helpful!   

Next, after an appointment with the nephrologist (kidney doc), he admitted her to the Swedish American Hospital because of acute kidney injury, which was a result of  Wegener’s Disease. In the hospital they performed a series of  treatements called plasmapheresis, which takes out the bad anit-bodies and replaces them with good anti-bodies. The kidneys did not improve as expected so  Mary was transferred to the hospital at UW Madison - where she had access to more doctors and more treatments.

At UW Madison, they continued with further plasmapheresis treatments and  performed further tests. It was determined that she would need four doses of immunosuppressant therapy (serious medication to kick-out out the Wegener’s Disease... chemo-like). She would start  the immunosuppressant therapy when the plasmapheresis was finished.

On March 21, Mary had her last plasmapheresis therapy. However, when she got home she experienced a surge in blood pressure. Back to the ER, she went. In the ER she suffered a seizure and was admitted to Swedish American Hospital in Rockford ,again. The seizure was caused by “angry arteries” that is a result of the Wegener’s Disease. On March 22,  Mary was transported back to UW Madison hospital.
Currently she is under heavy sedation as her body recovers from the seizures.  The doctors expect that they will be able to reduce or eliminate the sedation tomorrow, and begin the Immunosuppressant therapy within the next few days.  

The doctors are optimistic about Mary’s prognosis. We are optimistic, too.  

Prayers are welcomed and encouraged.

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Mary’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register