Marvin Friesen

First post: Jan 10, 2023 Latest post: Apr 2, 2023
November 3’ 22 Dad woke up with pain in his chest area. He thought maybe with laying some different positions it would get better but it got worse. Then dad told mom he thought it needed to get checked out. Mom then called me n I sped over there. I ended out calling 911. Four brethren showed up from EMS. That was a comfort! They took dad to Dodge City. By the time they got him to Dodge his heart rate (HR) was down to 30. They were soon prepping him for a heart cath. I had let Kelly n De Isaac know what was happening. They soon were up there n dad was taken to the Cath lab. We were soon informed that dad had had a mild heart attack and most of his arteries were plugged. There was one artery that had made its own bypass so that’s mainly what was keeping him going. Dr Kahn said this is serious and we’re getting a flight crew arranged to fly him to Witchita. The Kansas Medical center wouldn’t accept dad till he had a Covid test n it was negative. Hurry n wait 🙃 The flight crew was getting antsy due to the forecast of the wind coming up. They flew him by fixed wing plane. Kelly headed to Witchita n De went home with mom n I to help get things together before heading to Witchita. Duane n Brenda were In Farewell Texas n planned on being at folks for night that night. Instead they headed to Witchita. It was so good to have them there. Dad had open heart surgery the next morning. He had 4 bypasses n the artery that made its own bypass was ballooned. The Dr that did the surgery did not stop the heart, which was amazing! We were able to bring dad home a week later.
December 9’ 22 Dad had a pacemaker put in. He had worn a heart monitor for 24 hrs. Dr Kahn said his HR was going down to 20 bpm at night. A couple days later he was sleeping better at night n the color looked better in his face.
January 6’ 23 The day started out normally with Darrell n Dad going up to the cafe to have coffee with some of dad’s friends. Darrell n Lauretta arrived on Wed. for a visit after not having been here for over 2 years. We had dinner together at folks n I went home to rest. Then when I went back to folks dad was in pain. It had started with a headache then a pain in his stomach, and pain across his low back. It got to where dad didn’t know what to do with himself. Darrell n I decided we needed to take him in so we loaded up, taking mom with arriving at the Garden City ER around 7PM. Soon dad came to me and said he was getting nauseated. A emesis bag was obtained just in case. The nurse called him back n checked his vitals etc. She gave dad a couple alcohol pads to sniff once in awhile to keep from vomiting. She said it’s a tried n true thing n it did work! It kept him from vomiting till he got medicine for nausea. We waited probably about an hour before he was called back. An UA was obtained n blood work gotten n the Dr. Ordered a CT Scan. Found out he had a really bad UTI, which he hadn’t had any symptoms. Then the Dr came in with a serious matter. She informed us that dad had a tear in his Aorta. It was tore from the arch down to the bottom where it splits off to the legs. Dad would need to be flown out to a facility where there is a Specialist to take care of it. She checked where dad had his open heart surgery, but there were no beds available. The next option was here to St Anthony’s in Lakewood Colorado. Our hearts dropped, but somehow a person just does what it takes with God’s We had a prayer all together, tears shed.. dad couldn’t fully comprehend what all was happening which I told him was ok. He had Morphine on board. Darrell told him it’s a matter of life n death. He made sure he was in the clear n said I have been such a sinner.
The nurses worked at getting his BP n HR down n wouldn’t let dad lift his head. They matched a couple units of blood for him in case the tear would burst. Darrell n I decided to leave midnight or shortly after because we had to go back to the house to pack up. Kelly n De picked up mom around 12:30AM n headed to Colorado. Dad hadn’t left yet. They flew him out with a liter jet from Garden City airport. Darrell n I headed out around 2:30AM. One of the flight crew called me when dad arrived at the hospital and let me talk to dad 🥲❤️. They were going to be getting him ready for surgery. He was taken into surgery around 4AM. As we were driving in the dark cold night n praying inwardly the Lord brought this song to me
🎶 Never fear my child, when you see the storm, for I am in control 🎶 Kelly’s, and us, we kept track to each other. Did run into a stretch of dense fog. Thankful when we ran out of it. I think Kelly’s and mom arrived at the hospital sometime after 5AM and we got there 7:30sh in the morning. Darrell, mom and I soon went and found some breakfast then spent hours waiting. The OR nurse was good with giving updates. She called around 11:30 n said he was off of bypass, but needed to be closed up yet. (They had to open him up again like for open heart surgery 😢.That was really hard for me to think of him going through that again.) It was close to 1PM before the Dr came out to talk to us. He said most people don’t make it through that type of surgery. Also said it was a fatal situation. He said with him just having had open heart surgery two months ago it made it really difficult. Going thru the sternum that was wired together n working around things from the last surgery. He actually said it was 10 X harder than his first open heart surgery. We could tell he was weary. He felt like they got it fixed so it wouldn’t happen again. We feel like it is a Miracle that dad made it thru. It was around 4 PM or so when we finally got to see him. It felt like the same story second paragraph. The first surgery is still fresh in my mind. They still had the breathing tube in and then to see all the IVs and drainage tubes in. They did remove the breathing tube that evening yet then put him on bipap. It was a pressured air into his lungs. He was given 2 Units of blood Monday morning I believe. That sure helped him perk up n the color in his face was better. So many good Drs n nurses!

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Marvin’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register