Marissa Fisher Marissa Fisher

First post: Jul 28, 2016 Latest post: Jun 4, 2018
In the twitch of an eye. on Friday July 22nd I had just finished attending my daily "morning meeting" at work. I remember sitting down at my desk and looking up and to my left at a bulletin board, for some reason, and my eyes began to rapidly nystagmus, I remember thinking that shouldn't be happening and sat back in my office chair and turned to change my view. (I've had a lazy Right eye most of my life and that has always been the best way to correct it when it starts acting up.) The next thing I remember is waking up in the back of an ambulance and awakening to "Hi, my name is Kyle and you just had a 7-9 minute Grand-mal Seizure and we're headed to the ER." At Columbus Regional Hospital a CT Scan was done and found an abnormality in my Right Frontal Lobe. I was then transferred to Methodist Hospital, in Indianapolis. Where another CT Scan was done along with an MRI which both confirmed the previous Right Frontal Lobe abnormality. I was taking low dose Aspirin routinely prior to the seizure, this made me a higher bleeding risk. So, I was admitted to Methodist Hospital, to then be released to come back the following Friday July 29th for my brain tumor biopsy. #BrainTumorsSuck, but thankfully The Biopsy determined my tumor is a Grade 2 Low Grade non-aggressive Astrocyte Tumor and the best course of treatment was to attempt to remove at least 50% of the tumor. #GodIsInControl. I had 80% of my 6-7 cm tumor removed on Friday Sept 30th. The remaining 20% of tumor was untouched because of its proximity to the Secondary motor function area of my brain and I would have likely suffered from some Left-sided weakness/issues (since the Right side of your brain controls the Left-side of your body.) I was released home the following Tuesday October 4th. I am so thankful for the top-notch care I have received with, my Neurosurgeon Dr. James C. Miller, Neuro-Oncologist Dr. Edward Dropcho, Methodist Hospital and the staff with Goodman Campbell Brain and Spine. As a nurse it is very hard to be a patient. But thankfully the nursing staff I've had the pleasure to meet and be under the care of have all been exceptional caregivers. From Brandy in Post-Op after my Brain Biopsy, to Kindren and Ethan on the 5th floor Neuro Unit at Methodist Hospital. To Shannon, Renee (day shift), Renee (noc shift,) Amelia, Jordan, and Liz on the Neuro ICU floor.

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Marissa’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register