Lyda Miller Lyda Miller

First post: Jan 28, 2016 Latest post: Feb 28, 2016
Welcome to our CaringBridge site. We've created it to keep friends and family updated. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement during this time when it matters most. On January 12, mom had bilateral knee replacement surgery at Piedmont Fayette Hospital. The surgery went well, and she began physical therapy the next day. However, her oxygen levels were low so she began receiving oxygen from a nasal cannula. All seemed well, and she planned for discharge on Friday, January 15, but during his Friday rounds, her ortho doctor was concerned with low oxygen and low hemoglobin.   He ordered a blood transfusion that afternoon hoping to resolve both issues.   On Saturday, her levels improved, and he released her with oxygen to a rehab facility in Newnan. On Sunday, a nurse was concerned about Mom's cough and decided to order a chest X-ray to check on that as well as see why her oxygen still remained on the low side.Due to the X-ray results, she was admitted to the ER at Piedmont Newnan Hospital. A CT scan showed a pulmonary embolism and possible pneumonia. She was admitted to the critical care unit and was treated with IV antibiotics and blood thinners.  Mom spent a week there receiving treatment for clots and pneumonia and was discharged on Monday, January 25th to Healthsouth Rehab in Newnan.  She was feeling great and was excited to start physical therapy the following morning.  Shortly after arriving at Healthsouth, she was taken by ambulance to the ER because she was coughing up blood.  The nurses and ER doctor stabilized her blood pressure and administered a medicine to rapidly reverse the effects of the blood thinners she had been receiving for clots as she was bleeding into her lungs.  The ER doctor recommended she be under the care of a cardio-thoracic specialist and she was taken by helicoptor to Emory St. Joseph's Hospital early Tuesday morning.  Upon arrival, she was stabilized and given another blood transfusion as she had lost a considerable amount of blood.  In addition, a vascular surgeon inserted a vena cava filter to prevent further clots from traveling from her legs to her heart and lungs.  She was also put on a bi-pap machine to keep her from laboring to breathe, and her vitals remained stable.  On Wednesday, January 27th, Mom's doctor intubated and sedated her to help relieve her anxiety and high respirations.  The doctor saw slight improvement in her lungs since her arrival and believed the bleeding had stopped.  The doctor felt intubation and sedation would allow her body to begin healing.   We were told she would more than likely be on the vent for 3-5 days.  We ask that you would keep her in your prayers.  We feel confident that all her beloved friends' prayers and concern have been what has kept her strong and has impacted her care and recovery. We know God is in control and are trusting Him through all of this.  The verse Mom shared with us a few days ago is Deutoronomy 31:8, "The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you.  Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."  We believe this to be true and know that she is in His loving hands.  

Cathy, Ashley & Kristin

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Lyda’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register