Logan Pruitt

First post: Oct 28, 2016 Latest post: Jan 30, 2017
Logan was born at 24 weeks and completely unexpected. Here is our story. I had been having some abdominal pain for a couple weeks. My doctors, family, and myself all thought that it was just ligament stretching and at the beginning it could have been,  On Friday October 14th the pain started to worsen. I ignored the pain and went on with life. I had a very active weekend that weekend. Chris was in the process of finishing his camper project so I was helping him clean that very good, it was witches night out so I walked around for a whole evening/night Saturday, and I also had started trying to get more steps in so I was attempting to take long walks each evening. On Sunday October 16th the pain in my abdomen got way worse. I also had woke up and had started having a very small amount of tan discharge. I started to worry more but at the same time this was my first pregnancy and I didn't want to go to the hospital and be told that this was just typical and I was over reacting. I'm known for being a hypochondriac and was trying  to not do that during this pregnancy. I dealt with the pain all through Sunday. Sunday afternoon I called my OBGYN and told the nurse about my symptoms and she advised me to go to the maternity center at mercy. I still did not go I just kept thinking things were normal and that nurse probably tells every patient that calls on the weekends that. I went to bed Sunday night and through the night the pain got very bad. Chris woke up at 2:30am and said Megan we need to go the hospital and I said no I'm fine if I'm still in pain in the morning ill go in the morning I'm going back to sleep. I fell back asleep but the pain woke me up multiple times through the night. the pain would come and go and last only about 10-15 seconds but in that 10-15 seconds the pain would get so intense. it felt like muscle spasms. I started to know something was not right but I was scared to go the doctor and them tell me that there was nothing wrong. I woke up Monday morning October 17th around 7:30am. I got up took a shower, ate breakfast, and decided to go to the hospital. The pain was still pretty intense and I had started to have a light pink discharge. I left my house and started the drive to Mercy-St. Louis. I made it about half way here and then thought I left the dog out so I turned around and went back home and made sure she was inside safe and sound. I then started back on the road again. I made it to the hospital about 9:15am. I texted Chris and told him that I had decided to come and that he should come over just in case something was wrong but not to hurry because I thought things were fine and that I would probably being sitting for awhile. I got back into a room, gave my pee sample, answered a bunch of questions, and was planning to wait patiently until they sent me home. The doctor came into my room about 10am. At this point everything looked normal they had no clue what was going on. My contractions were not picking up on the monitor and the ones that were didn't seem very strong. The doctor decided to do an exam to look at the discharge I was having. She started the exam and within seconds said " your husband needs to get here right away, your not going anywhere." I was dilated to a 6 and she could feel my water sac bulging out. they instantly rushed me up to labor and delivery where I was started on magnesium to stop the contractions. Chris arrived about 10:30am . They gave me a steroid shot to help with Logan's lungs, had my head tilted back and was using gravity to hold everything in, and started an antibiotic. It was then a waiting game and the longest 28 hours of my life. I had many very supportive people next to me. Chris, my mom and dad, his mom, and my good friend Sarah Forbes were all there the full 28 hours. At this point every hour counted and gave Logan a better chance of survival.  Different doctors started coming in and talking to me. The high risk doctor came in and explained all the steps they were taking to try to hold this delivery off and what was going to happen when I did deliver. The NICU doctor came in and told us how Logan was going to be taken care of once he was here. That doctor gave us some pretty scary news at that time. The statistics showed at  Logan's gestational  age 24 weeks and 2 days that he had a 66% of survival with a 40% chance of neurological issues. The waiting game continued. At 2:30pm on Tuesday October 18th I started to have lots of pressure and the pain that had went away came back very strong. I let the nurse know and the doctor was sent in to do an exam. The holding of labor had stopped. I was now dilated to an 8 and that wasn't the only issue. When I dilated from a 6 to an 8 Logan decided he was going to flip around. He was no longer head down. He had turned breach. The vaginal delivery I was planning on having was instantly out of the question. At this point, we were rushed into the OR where an epidural was given and a C-section was done. AT 3:46pm on October 18th our little bundle of joy had arrived. He weighed 2lb and was 13in long. He was instantly intubated and sent to the NICU. The plan is for him to stay here until his due date which was February 4th. We have a long road ahead of us. This blog is going to allow me to keep everyone updated. Thank you for all the thought and prayers during this time. Anything big or small helps us.  

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Logan’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register