Hello all. Nathan, Charlotte and myself have decided to start a caring bridge site to keep all our loved ones up to date on Baby Brock.
On November 26th Nathan and I went to our 20 week ultrasound, we were very excited to see Baby Brock! The ultrasound seemed to go pretty well, no concerns where really mentioned. The excitement was short lived when we found out that they saw something concerning with the baby. We were referred to St.Cloud Perinatology for a level 2 ultrasound and more tests. While in St. Cloud they confirmed that the baby has a Neural Tube defect also known as Spina Bifida. St.Cloud then referred us to Abbott Northwestern and Minneapolis Children's Hospital where they did more tests and scans. We found out that baby had Myelomeningocele and Chiari 2 malformation. Nathan and I spent 3 days at Midwest Fetal Care Center where we talked to many Doctors/specialist/surgeons about our little one's defect and all the options we had. The 2 main options where waiting until baby was born and do surgery to close the open defect at 1-2 days old or to do open fetal surgery (OFS). Open fetal surgery has to be done between 23-26 weeks gestation, so we had to make a decision rather quickly. After hearing all the potential benifits to doing OFS we decided if we where approved we were going to go ahead with the surgery. After taking an extensive look at baby, having an Amniocentesis, and a fetal MRI we got the exciting news Friday December 7th that Baby Brock looked healthy and strong and that we would be a good candidate for surgery. We are having surgery on Tueday December 18th at Abbott Northwestern in Minneapolis. I will have to say in the hospital for 4-7 days after surgery and then on strict bed rest after. They will continue to monitor baby with weekly ultrasounds and stress tests in hopes that baby stays put for another 11-13 weeks.
Thank you all for the love and support
Love, Nathan Kimberly, big sister Charlotte and Baby Brock