Kevin Simonson

First post: Jul 13, 2017 Latest post: Nov 17, 2019
Our world changed on June 30, 2017.  Here is what led up to that day:  I first noticed Kevin's driving on our way to an open house, he kept hitting the right hand shoulder and one time I spotted him driving too fast.  Things had been happening at work, but Kevin didn't share these behaviors with me, either he didn't see them, or it didn't register as something to be concerned about.  Then about June 20th or so, he was leaving for work so late, it was taking him so long to get ready in the morning, he couldn't focus or stay on task.  The weekend of June 24-25, we had a wedding and grad open house on the 24th.  Kevin's sense of time was off, he wouldn't be ready or willing to leave when we should have.  He also displayed behaviors at the open house that just wasn't him.  I didn't see it, others did.  After we left, our friends talked about him stumbling, fumbling with a zipper, commenting that he seemed drunk.  These were not normal for him.  We went to the house of the grad for an after party, really late, and Kevin sat by me and other women friends instead of talking with the other guys.  

The next week, things at work came to a breaking point, his district manager called me concerned about his arrival times to work, lack of focus and also not completing tasks he has done for almost 30 years.  So, I started making calls to get him to counseling and a physical, but by Thursday, he relayed that he was stumbling at work, forgetful and not able to count money drawers.  We went to the Glencoe Clinic the next day, June 30th.

Our appointment was at 10, we started off by telling the Dr. our story and why we came.  She did some physical and coordination tests.  Then did some blood work, then back for a cognitive test.  Blood work came back fairly normal, so now recommended a MRI.  It was set for 2 pm.  After the MRI, about 3:30, they said we should go back to the Dr.'s waiting room.  We waited for awhile and then were led back to an exam room and sat for quite awhile.  The Dr. came in a couple times to say they were still waiting on the MRI, another time said that they saw something but waiting for confirmation.  When she came in about 5:15, she said Kevin had a pretty large brain tumor located in the front of his left side.  She said we could go to Abbott that night or wait until Monday.  I said what would you do, she said go tonight.  So with the help of our friend Laura, we were at Abbott by 8 PM.  Our world has changed forever.

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Kevin’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register