Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting.
On Saturday January 27th, Kevin woke up with back pain and went to the chiropractor and the ER for pain relief. Pain was relieved in the ER after some IV drugs. On Sunday January 28th he had a fever, sore throat, and some body aches. So on Tuesday January 30th we went back to the doctor and his strep and influenza cultures were negative. Plain back xray were negative. He ran a fever on and off for the next couple of weeks but was able to go out to work a little and seemed to be feeling a little better.
Then on Thursday February 15th we went to the clinic to see our regular physician Dr. Wallace. Still having complaints of back pain, muscle weakness and running a low grade temp, Dr. Wallace decided to run some lab tests just to make sure there wasn't anything going on. Well, we credit Dr. Wallace with saving Kevin's life, because if Dr Wallace would have just refilled Kevin's pain meds, we think he may have died because we think the meds would have masked how awful he really felt. After getting lab results back that were all abnormal, he called Kevin to come back and have a MRI of his back. We got home at 7pm and by 8pm Dr Wallace called to say there was an infection in Kevin's back and he made arrangements for us to be a direct admit to Abbott. It was discovered that Kevin had a staph infection in his blood that settled in his back. It was in the disc, bone, and psoas muscle with an abscess. Kevin has had many labs,a CT to place a drain to get rid of the infection, and has been started on an antibiotic. We are now waiting for the final results of the cultures to make we are on the correct antibiotics. The plan as of now is to have his blood cultures negative for 48 hours then they will place a Picc line for 6 weeks of antibiotics. We think we will be here until Friday but the plan is very fluid.