Kaylie Heaton

First post: Feb 7, 2018 Latest post: Apr 24, 2018
Kaylie is a 14 year old Little Girl. She has always been active and Healthy and ALWAYS full of Spunk. On January 26th 2018 she started feeling sick. After taking her to several doctors appointments, and being Clinically diagnosed with the flu, no flu test was taken, she was sent home for rest and fluids. On Friday February 2nd 2018, she was taken to York Hospital ER, where they immediately hooked up to IV's and were giving her fluids. She complained that her chest was hurting, and that she was VERY Hot, even though her temperature was not high. They did an Ultrasound of her heart, and found fluid surrounding her heart. They made the decision to contact Hershey Medical Children's Hospital, and transferred her there, via Helicopter. Upon arrival at Hershey, they did a Rapid Flu test, and the results came back positive for Influenza -B. They had her hooked to IV's with fluids and Medication, she seemed to be responding well, as she was more coherent and was talking. On Saturday February 3rd, she started to decline. She started having trouble breathing, and again, was complaining that she was HOT. They did another Ultrasound on her heart, and found that there was more fluid build up around her heart. They decided at that time, that it was necessary to Intubate her, and attempt to draw the fluid from around her heart. As they had the team assembled to do the procedure, she went into Cardiac Arrest. We lost her..... They performed CPR compressions, for approximately 40 minutes. Once they got her back, the opened her up, and hooked her to a Machine called ECMO. This machine, bypasses her Heart and Lungs, so that they can rest and heal. In other words, she was placed on Life Support. They were hoping that by being on the ECMO machine, that her heart would start to recover and begin healing itself. For Two Days, there were some signs that her heart was beating some on its own. She was responding to requests from Dr's and Family when asked to do basic commands. She opened her eyes, stuck out her tongue, squeezed hands, wiggled her toes, even bit down on the toothbrush as they were trying to brush her teeth.  But then the signal was lost, and it is hardly moving now. It is "Quivering" as the Dr's call it. So we do have some movement, so we are thinking positively. Her Kidney's started to not produce as much output as they would have liked, and with her Potassium Levels rising,  they decided to start her on Dialysis.  Once they inserted the Catheter for the Dialysis, they found a piece of wire from another Catheter that was in her Artery, from when they were trying to resuscitate her. They had to transport her down to X-Ray so that they could remove it, and they were Successful. Now Today, Wednesday, February 7th, 2018, we are still not getting any signal of healing from her heart. At this time, they are looking into a possible Heart Transplant, if she is a good candidate. The Dr's here at Hershey are in talks with the Dr's at John Hopkins in Baltimore, and as long as they accept her case, she will be Transported by Helicopter to them. At this time, this is all the information that we have, and we will keep you updated as we get more information. Please Keep Kaylie and all of our Family in your prayers. Please Pray for Healing, and also for Wisdom, for the Dr's that are and will be taking care of her. 

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Kaylie’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register