Can you support CaringBridge during our Fall giving campaign? Generous donors like you ensure that CaringBridge remains ad-free, private and protected.
Apr 2, 2018 Latest post:
May 9, 2018
Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting.
I found out I was pregnant on November 18, 2017 with baby number 3. The first 11 weeks went pretty well, normal pregnancy issues with morning sickness and fatigue. But on January 8, I developed some bleeding. Allen and I of course feared for the worst. We had an ultrasound done on January 9 and that showed a subchorionic hematoma (SCH). A SCH is the accumulation of blood within the folds of the outer fetal membrane next to the placenta or between the uterus and the placenta itself. This is known to cause the light to heavy bleeding. Most SCH resolve and women go on to have a perfectly healthy pregnancy. Well, unfortunately mine did not, it in fact grew. I had numerous episodes of bleeding and repeat ultrasounds for evaluation, but luckily baby was always content and doing well.
Then February 5 happened. I was 15 weeks. I woke up around 5 am and was soaked. I figured it was from the SCH and wasn't too worried. I got ready for work and called the doctor at 8 am to let them know. They scheduled me for an ultrasound at 9:30, so I left all my stuff at work (since I work right across the street from my OB) and went for the ultrasound. Immediately, they found the heartbeat which is always reassuring. So again, I didn't worry. But I did notice that baby looked a little different, and a little smooshed up, but baby had a heartbeat so I thought, again, nothing of it. Well then the OB came in (not my normal OB) and he tells me that my water broke and that I need to be induced and deliver the baby. I was devastated. I had went to work like everything was OK and I even told Allen to stay home because I was fine. Well I did not know how to process the fact that my baby was going to be induced at 15 weeks because I just saw the heartbeat and it was strong, so I decided to go home and talk with Allen and talk to my regular OB the next day.
So I went home and did LOTS of research. What happened to me is called preterm premature rupture of membranes (PPROM). Something very rare that I never even knew could happen. I had 2 previous very healthy pregnancies! So the most updated research I could find was stuff from 1998 and outcomes were poor. Luckily I found a Facebook group of women who have went through the same thing and had success stories. Women ranging with PPROM from as early as 10 weeks to women up to 37+ weeks. Still, I did find not such great outcomes, but I started to have hope. So Allen and I discussed what we wanted to do, and we wanted to fight for this baby, so we would do whatever it takes. So I spoke with my OB and he referred me to Maternal Fetal Medicine (MFM-specialist when it comes to high risk pregnancies).
I met with MFM and they did another ultrasound that showed still no fluid, and they gave me the good, the bad, and the ugly. Without the amniotic fluid, baby cannot really work on breathing (babies breath in the fluid to help with their lungs). At 15 weeks, babies typically make amniotic fluid by urinating, and the ultrasound found the baby's kidneys and bladder looked good, so there was a chance the baby could manage to get some fluid, but I would still probably continue to leak. MFM gave me about 40% chance of survival for the baby. The baby is at risk for coming out with severe developmental issues, among many other things. The baby could make it to our goal of 34 weeks and still come out and have crappy lungs and not have a chance, but again, the chance was not 0% so Allen and I continued to have hope. I also was at high risk of infection, and if that occurs, I am at risk, so I would have to be induced. I took in all this information and prepared myself to fight this fight.
From 15 weeks-23 weeks we had multiple OB/MFM appointments with ultrasounds to monitor the baby. Without amniotic fluid, they cannot get a very good picture of the baby and anatomy, but so far everything seems to check out. I have had pockets of fluid here and there, which is encouraging, and again, baby continues to have a heartbeat, so we continue to have hope. During those 8 long weeks, I was able to work (on light activity) for almost the whole time. I had to be pulled out of work around 21+4 days due to more bleeding (the bleeding had stopped since my water broke) and I was told to take it easy (I put myself on bedrest at home--Allen has been an amazing husband and dad or should I say Mr Mom since I have been unable to do much). I visited the ER/OB triage 4 times due to bleeding and cramping issues, but baby J continued to always look OK.
So here I am, April 2 at 23 weeks and officially now a resident at Hotel Butterworth. I hope to be here until I am 34 weeks and give this baby every fighting chance. So I wanted to create this page to give updates for those who have been following my story. This make its easy, and plus, I can have this as something to do for my next 11 weeks.
I continue to have hope, I continue to stay positive, and I continue to pray for the best possible outcome. My "theme" is (found many women who have went through PPROM have this "theme"): when there is a heartbeat, there is hope. So here is to fighting on Baby J!