Kathy Long

First post: 3/15/2016 Latest post: 5/4/2017
It started with a dog.......

No one could believe that I finally agreed to get a puppy for Christmas.  I never knew that decision would change my life forever. Sadie, our 4 1/2 month old puppy has been my mom’s constant companion since the day she arrived.  

Last Saturday, March 5th Sadie choked on mulch.  Sadie began to have problems breathing and started to bleed from her nose and mouth.  Mom was home alone and her years of nursing experience kicked in. She performed CPR for more than 30 minutes and managed to drive herself to the vet.  

During the rescue she got a bite on her hand. We went to the hospital for the bite and mom developed chest pain.  Her heart enzymes were elevated so they did a chest x-ray and she was admitted for monitoring. A test came back for possible blood clots so a CT scan was performed on her chest.

The following morning March, 6th the doctor cleared mom of all cardiac and blood clot issues but informed us that she had 2 nodules on her right lung.  He was suspicious so he recommended a biopsy.

Early morning March, 7th they performed a biopsy on the largest nodule near her neck. Unfortunately that procedure caused her lung to partially collapse.  They placed a chest tube which was extremely painful for her.  It was a rough day.

March, 8th mom was starting to feel better.  We met Dr. Bill Mitchell and his PA. When he began to explain everything to us we learned that mom has a third spot on her left lung in or near her rib that is worrisome.  He said we need a PET scan asap.   Around 2pm they were able to remove her chest tube and we were released from the hospital about 5pm.

March, 11th mom had her PET scan.  We learned that she would be radioactive for 9 hours following which was interesting because she could not be around children or anyone who is nursing, pregnant or childbearing years.   My mom lives with me and my 2 children (Riley & Liam) and her great granddaughter (Claire) and niece (Brandi) who is nursing had just arrived in town.

March, 12th was a great day.  Mom had finally stopped glowing...LOL.  She was able to enjoy the day with my sister, Cristin, Brandi and Claire. We had an amazing party to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day!  We had a food truck, photo booth, ice luge and over 100 of our friends join the fun. We also raised over $1200 for The American Cancer Society. Thank you so much for your generosity.

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Kathy’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register
SVG_Icons_Back_To_Top
Top