Jon Bergeron

First post: Sep 11, 2018 Latest post: Apr 23, 2019

Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting.

In late June 2018, Jon was told that a mass was found in his liver. Over the next several months, labs results and scans indicated the tumor was resectable (able to be cut out with surgery).  On Monday, September 10, 2018 Jon went in for surgery. The surgeon and all residents plus anesthesia prayed around Jon with our family.  Unfortunately, once they were able see the tumor, the surgical team determined that removing all of the cancer would not be possible. The following is a brief timeline of the journey up to the surgery.

The tumor was originally identified in June 2018, when Jon was seeing a general surgeon to consult for repairing a hernia along a previous surgical incision. This surgeon discovered a sizable mass on his liver which was originally assumed to  be metastatic (spread from somewhere else), which was devastating news. From there, we were referred to UT Southwestern's Dr. Mansour for a complete work-up - blood tests, CT scan, PET scan and upper/lower scopes. All these results suggested that the tumor had originated from the liver, was contained in the liver and had not spread. The surgeon was very hopeful that complete removal of the tumor would be possible, and no additional treatment would be needed. This was unexpected and the best possible news! 

We continued with the work-up for the big liver surgery - heart tests, more blood work, carotid ultrasounds... Jon began walking to get into better physical shape for the surgery.  Everything looked great and with high spirits, we headed into surgery on Monday, September 10, 2018. Our high spirits were short-lived as they told us the surgery was cut short. We knew this would not be good news. And it was not. The surgical team broke the news to us that the cancer had spread to the abdominal wall and a second location on the liver and could no longer be respected. Tomorrow morning Jon & his doctor will visit regarding the chemotherapy that could give him more of the time that God has planned for him. We covet your continued prayers for the many decisions that need to made. ❤️🙏❤️