Jenifer Franklin

First post: Nov 15, 2016 Latest post: Oct 16, 2017
I have been thinking and thinking about a way to try and keep everyone as informed as possible and someone suggested this, so we'll give it a try.  Just a BRIEF history, in 2005 I went in for what was supposed to be a VERY routine laporscopic hysterectomy.  It turned out to be anything but that, they found Stage IV endometriosis and immediately converted it to an abdominal surgery.  At that time no one knew I had a clotting disorder called Von Willebrands, in simple terms, I don't clot.  So the night of the hysterectomy I nearly bled to death and by the grace of God my mom is strong and fought for someone to see what was wrong.  I woke up in ICU with a 3.2 hemoglobin (deathly low).  I also woke up and noticed that my bed was wet, no one seemed to understand what I was saying.   Ultimately it was discovered that the surgeon but a hole in my bladder the size of a silver dollar.  After 16+ surgeries over a three year period it was decided that my bladder would have to be removed.  I have lived with a "pouch" since 2009 and have catherterized since then.  Over the last 2 years I have developed a more serious stage of Kidney disease and numerous infections.  In April I switched over to MD Anderson because their surgeons are the best equipped to deal with my very specialized situation.  Since then I have been diagnosed with infection after infection about every 2 weeks.  These infections are of the serious and dangerous kind and anyone of them could kill me at any time.  Therefore the pouch has to come out.  As you can imagine after so many surgeries my abdomen is a MESS.  So when they remove the pouch and put in a urostomy(bag on the outside) they are also doing a total abdominal reconstruction.  This is because I have 8 hernias that are wrapped around several vital organs and one of them is 22cm long and 7cm wide(close to the size of a newborn.  Both surgeons have said that their parts will take 6 to 8 hours each so I will be in the OR on Thursday for 14-16 hours.  The Von Willebrands just complicates everything and makes everything harder and more dangerous.  I will be at MDA for 7 to 14 days after the surgery and I will be admitted Wednesday night so they can start the Factor VIII infusion to start the clotting process.  This is it in a nutshell and right now as I type this my household is a nervous wreck.  Please pray for all of us, but especially Ronald, Jeremy and Hope.  They need to feel a blanket of love and support around them as their fears and anxiety multiply everyday.  Please pray for the surgical teams and the upteen nurses, aids, doctors and surgeons that it will take to do this very long procedure.  Please pray for my sweet sweet mom because she is the one who will be staying with me at the hospital and while I'm usually a good patient, I don't expect it to be quite so easy this time.  I'm 8 years older than the last major surgery and they have said pain control is going to be an issue.  And finally please pray for me, that my fear is eased and my anxiety lessens and that I really do find the strength to give this all over to God.  I'm trying but so far I don't think I'm doing a very good job.  I will add Ronald and my mom as co-editors and they will post updates here.  I hope this work's and I'll see you on the flip side.

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Jenifer’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register