JB Rowland

First post: Nov 5, 2017 Latest post: Apr 1, 2019
Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting.

JB suffered a seizure in June and another one Sept. 1, 2017.  He then went for an MRI where they discovered he had a brain tumor about the size of a golf ball on the top right side of his brain.  A biopsy performed on Sept. 28th revealed that it was cancer and surgery was scheduled to remove it on Wed.  Oct. 18th.   The tumor is Anaplastic Astrogytoma grade 3 glioma.  Dr. Abram felt like he got over 99% of the tumor.  He got all he could get that technology could see.  They actually performed an MRI before and during surgery.  We knew he would have some issues with motor skills with his left arm and leg as the tumor laid next to his motor strip.  He was able to squeeze our hand and wiggle his toes after surgery.  He had little pain and feeling on his left side.

We had him up and walking with help.  Sunday, Oct. 22 - We had hoped to get to a rehabilitation site on Monday after surgery.  Rehab had not been approved by insurance (I don't know why - they knew he was going) anyway, we got him approved to go to Vanderbilt Stallworth rehabilitation.  By the time insurance approved on Tuesday, JB had lost all function in his left side.  He could no longer squeeze his hand or wiggle his toes.  Of course, now he couldn't be moved.   Still thankful that he had little pain and could feel us touching him.  

After CT scan, another MRI and EEG they could not conclusively tell us why this had happened.  Maybe took him off the steroids too soon.  So we upped the steroids and just in case of seizures, doubled seizure medication.  Still no improvement by Thursday, Oct. 26th so moved him to rehabilitation with hopes that some movement would get things going.  Moved late Friday, Oct. 27th.  Of course, it's another weekend and not much going on.

He had been having some issues with his incision but no one seemed too concerned.   He had a full day of rehab on Monday but during the night, his incision had opened up at the one end and it was enough of a concern at the rehab facility, that he went to the ER at Vanderbilt.  12 hours later, 2 CT scans, a couple stitches and a prescription for an antibiotic, he's back at rehab and missed all day of activities.  ER doctor wanted him to follow up with his surgeon so we did that this morning - Nov. 1st.  We were unable to see surgeon but saw one of his counter parts.  She was baffled too and took a picture and sent to surgeon who had just gotten out of surgery at another facility.  They want to give the antibiotics a couple days to work.  

Now mind you, JB cannot use his left side and his head is bleeding.  The only way to get him anywhere is by ambulance.   Which is an ordeal all in itself.
So he's back at rehab, has a session this afternoon and the therapist asked him to squeeze her hand ...and he did!  It's a great day!

Thursday, Nov. 2nd - Incision became more of a concern for rehab doctors, so was sent back to St. Thomas West where he underwent a second surgery to clean out infection.  They have sent off samples as well as a portion of the skull to see what kind of infection so they know how best to treat it.  

Friday, Nov. 3rd - He is currently in ICU but things are working as they worked prior to second surgery.   Originally they thought maybe he was going to have to wear a helmet but now they don't think so.  ??  He's eating well.  He's in very little pain except for his arm where they keep poking him so they've put in a pic.    Watching old Star Trek shows.  

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with JB’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register