Jayden Coves

First post: Oct 8, 2016 Latest post: Oct 15, 2016
Jayden Chistopher Coves was born September 16, 2016 at 36 weeks.  Despite being born a little early, he came out healthy and strong.  He has had some issues feeding at first but began guzzling bottles down in no time after his first week.  He is a crazy little guy who will make you laugh in no time from the things he does.  On Sunday, the 2nd of October, he was a little fussy at night and wouldn't go to sleep by himself.  Being an insomniac, i was already going to be up all night, so I brought him out to sleep by me while I played a game and watched him sleep.  On Monday he was tired and not himself.  He slept all day and didn't want to eat.  As the day went on we were worried and called the clinic.  With us being new parents, we were told that babies can be fussy and he may just have a low fever.  An appointment was set for his doctor for the following day but me being new to being around kids just wanted to make sure everything was fine with him.  A late night ER visit left us thinking that nothing was wrong and he was just tired.  When at the doctor the next day, he had a fever of 100.3 that went down to 99 at the end of his visit.  We left there thinking he was good and just lost weight because of possible dehydration.  He seemed himself and began eating more and on schedule.  We noticed rapid side to side movements of his eyes but a google search showed that it is normal for newborns to have uncoordinated eye movement.  It was not until his mother put him to bed that she noticed him staring wide eyed and his body was stiff.  she brought him to me and I noticed his lips were blue, almost purple.  His body was losing color and he was just so stiff.  Me fearing that he was unable to breathe and was maybe choking, turned him over and began patting him on the back.  I pulled an ice pack out, knowing he hates the cold and would cry, and put it on his feet.  He was still struggling to breathe but regained his color and slowly started breathing normally.  we got dressed as fast as possible and rushed him to the ER.  While there, they did not know what could be making him the way he was until he had another episode which we found out was a seizure.  He stopped breathing but thanks to the quick response of team at Wenatchee Valley Medical Center, he began breathing again.  He intubated and put on anti convulsion medication.  After a lumbar puncture, we found out that he had bacterial meningitis and would have to be flown to Seattle Childrens.  The flight crew was awesome and prepped him for the trip.  His mother flew with him while I drove.  He is now at the NICU and is slowly getting better, day by day.

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Jayden’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register