On Monday, 21 March at about 1400 (2pm for you non-military folks) I began to feel a little sick and thought that it was simply from eating my room temp left-over cheese pizza for lunch. Then at about 1600 I decided it was time for me to head home and deal with it there.
At dinner time, Jennie asked me if I wanted to eat, but I still wasn’t feeling well and couldn’t eat. At about 2030 (8:30pm), I tried to have some ritz crackers to see if that would help, but it didn’t. At about 2130 (9:30), I was feeling very nauseous and went outside to the backyard and vomited. I was hoping that would make me feel better, but it didn’t. About 15-20 minutes later I had to go back outside and vomit, but there was nothing.
When I came back into the house I was freezing and sweating. I was as white as a sheet and very clammy. I told Jennie I had to go into the ER at Fort Belvoir. I drove about 2-3 houses and had to stop to vomit again. By the time I got to the ER I had sweat through my shirt and could barely walk into the hospital.
They attempted to take my temperature from a forehead device and then a thermometer, neither of them registered a temperature. My BP was very high and my O2 was around 92 (which is low). They rushed me to the back and placed me in a room right away. I changed into a gown and they wrapped me in a heated blanket. The nurses passed me a bag and I continued to vomit as the doctor came in to discuss matters with me.
The doctor immediately ordered IV bags, morphine, zofran, CT scans, and other labs. At the first available, the wheeled me into the CT. After a few hours they came in to give me the results.
They found what appeared to be a blockage of my bowels. They wanted me to have a NG tube placed in my stomach and begin to prep for a dye test to see if the dye would reach the other side of the blockage. At 1200, 22 March, they began the dye and were going to X-Ray at the 4 and 8 hour intervals. At 1600 (4pm), Dr. Merritt came in and told me that I needed to have surgery right away to clear the blockage so that we could minimize trauma to my intestines.
At this time we were told of three possible scenarios: 1. Laparoscopic (robotics used) to remove the blockage 2. Cut into my abdomen to remove the blockage 3. Cut and remove the blockage and possibly more intestine that could result in a colostomy bag
Turns out I received option 2. They removed 3 inches of my small intestine and also found white spots on my liver. They sent specimens to pathology for testing and the results came back as Neuroendocrine Tumors. This was on 29 March 2022.
On 30 March I went to the lab at Fort Belvoir to do additional test, also went to Nuclear Medicine to schedule my appointment (05 April), and contacted Oncology for my appointment with them (19 April).
And so our journey begins!!
We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting.