...Today was the day for Jack and me to drive to Phoenix from our vacation spot at Dove Mtn. outside of Tucson for my visit at the Barrow Neurological Institute with Dr. Andrew Little for a second opinion following my frustrating series of delayed interactions with a recommended neurosurgeon in Boise following the failure of the recommending Neurologist to get the necessary MRI films in his hands before my first visit with him! I won't go there, but suffice it to say, the entire month of October was one of angst and emotional expense for me, to say the least, because of the ineptitude of this neurosurgeon in getting back to me on specified promised dates and his entire office staff who were hardly patient sensitive with my follow through!
I only make this an extended story, because I want to underscore God's hand here! Last spring, according to my usual mode of operation, I bid on an online auction to benefit the Wyakin Ftd.,an Idaho non-profit that fundraises to underwrite college scholarships for Wounded Warriors and won this two night stay at this Ritz Carleton resort which included airline tickets. Jack and I selected Nov 3rd to begin our 2 night stay which we extended to include three more nights for a wonderful R&R experience. How would we have known then that I was to be diagnosed later with another brain tumor which involved conflicting recommended procedures between the Boise Neurologist and the Neurosurgeon, the latter of whom I had lost trust in.
The Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix is a highly regarded brain focused practice with many doctors who perform their surgeries at the highly rated on campus St. Joseph's Hospital. At the last minute, the Friday before our Sunday departure, when I finally had all required documents in hand, I was able to make an appt. with the recommended neurosurgeon, again only with God's hand here, for Tuesday at 3:00pm. We arrived at 1:30pm for a 3:00pm appt. today which was good as it turned out because it took me more than an hour to fill out additional health forms over a sandwich wrap at the Hospital cafeteria!
So only the bottom line now here. Dr. Little was very professional, but with warmth as well. He took all the time we needed in response to our questions with regard to his recommendations. We spent at least an unhurried hour with him. He concurred with the Boise neurologist (as opposed to the Boise neurosurgeon) that the tumor had doubled in size and needs to be surgically removed with better results now than later if it grows into a 3rd grade tumor or changes into a cancerous tumor which can happen with this type of tumor.
So for the first time in our lives, Jack and I will be escaping the snow and cold of Boise for the warmth of Arizona to become official Snowbirds when we return in January (after the Rose Bowl of course!) for my surgery. It will be strange to be in another state in an unknown for this surgical procedure, but Jack and I feel this doctor and hospital is the best for my needs,
So all I need for Christmas are your prayers!
Update on plans for January
OK folks. Plans for January are now set. Jack and I fly to Phoenix on January 6th. I meet with Dr. Little on January 7th, then have some tests, and then another comprehensive MRI that afternoon. Surgery is now set for January 9th. Jack will be staying nearby at the Extended Stay Deluxe motel, and he will likely be joined by Justin for 2 or 3 days during and after my surgery. Then, we must stay in Phoenix for a minimum of 2 weeks after the surgery before I will be released to travel and presumably go home. We are making this our vacation, I guess, for 2014. Hmmmm........strange vacation!