Jack Novak

First post: Jun 16, 2015 Latest post: Jun 26, 2015
Well here I am writing once again.  I had hoped to put my quill away for good,  or at least for more than a year. But alas...

So our story begins with Jack completing a week of training up on Eagle Glacier on Saturday, June 13, 2015  as a member of the APU Elite team. By all accounts, including Jack's, Jack had a good week, keeping up with the big boys and skiing well. It is looking like he is on track to be back in the mix this soon to be here ski season.

Jack was feeling a little sore and tired when he awoke on Sunday. Not too surprising in light of the week of training he had just completed, even though they rode a helicopter down, rather than hiking down. (The purported reason was avalanche danger due it snowing more than three feet during the week and the weather then warming.)  Vicki, Sammy, Jack and I were supposed to share a family meal Sunday evening.  Jack picked up the Moose's tooth pizza,  but was feeling pretty bad by the time he arrived at 7:30 p.m.   Jack did not eat and decided to go back to his room at the on APU campus ski house, despite Vicki and my suggesting that he spend the night with us. At approximately 10:30 p.m., we received word that Jack was feeling even worse and had decided to come to our home. Vicki called our insurance company 24 hour nurse help line and was advised to bring Jack to the hospital emergency room. Me being me calked up Jack's condition  to a little fatigue and perhaps dehydration and chose to Let Vicki and Sammy take Jack to the hospital. Good thing I make my living practicing law rather than medicine - by 3:30 a.m. Jack was admitted to the hospital. I received an I told you so  call and got my sorry butt to the hospital by 4:00 a.m.

Today, Monday - June 15,2015,  has been a day of tests and more tests.  Blood draws, spinal fluid draw, CT scans, MRIs, and more. No definitive determination has been made as to Jack's condition, but a number of things have been ruled out.  As Jack says, it has been a day of being repeatedly told "you do not have __________."

Several tests that require the passage of time are underway. As I understand, it is like the  "experiments" I commonly conduct in our home refrigerator. There needs to be mold to examine.

Jack has been an economic stimulus package for the physicians, so far benefiting from the services of his primary care physician, an emergency room doctor,  a radiologist, an infectious disease physician,  a primary attending physician, and  a third year medical student. (I am hoping "Dr. House " shows up tomorrow.) 

So the bottom line is (just as in a good episode of "House") that we really do not yet know Jack's condition. It looks like at least another  night or two at the hospital. Cable television, room service - what is not to like. Stay tuned, the adventure continues.



CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Jack’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register