Ian Kanter

First post: Jul 31, 2012 Latest post: Jul 28, 2015
On Friday July 27th at approximately 7:30pm we received a call from John one of Ian's friends telling us that Ian was in a long boarding accident.

Shortly after hearing this we left the house to head for Frederick Hospital.  However on the way we were told he was going to be sent to Baltimore's Shock Trauma Clinic.  So we searched for name in our phone to determine where to go and came up with three different places, so we called John to see if we could get a more accurate address. John told us that he was going to the Shock Trauma Unit in Baltimore and that it was at the University of Maryland University Hospital.  We were told is one of the best in the country and maybe even the world for the type of injuries Ian has.

We arrived at the hospital approximately an hour and half after receiving the call from John.  When we arrived they didn't have any information for us and we were worried that we had come to the wrong hospital.

In the meantime we called Chantel our niece who is located in the same area in Maryland where the hospital is located  to ask if we could stay at her home and shared with her what we knew so far about Ian's condition. Chantel and her daughter Kiki  were on their way to the hospital to stay with us.  We had to wait about 45 minutes before we were brought upstairs to the trauma ER to see Ian for the first time since his accident. When we went to the elevator to go upstairs we bumped into both Chantel and Kiki in the elevator who had arrived during this time.  Except for Kiki, we all proceeded to the trauma ER to see Ian while Kiki stayed in the waiting area downstairs.

 When we walked to his bed and saw him I was not ready....for what I saw. My baby was laying there looking like someone in a movie who had been beaten and dragged around. The doctor started telling us what his injuries were and all I could think was my baby, my baby.  Ian is in bad shape; he has the following injuries:

Serious brain trauma, his right hip is broken, his right hand is broken, his right jaw is broken, his lungs collapsed, he has fractured ribs, he has a drainage tube in his chest and a shattered pelvis. He is in the best place for his injuries and he is now in the Neurotrauma ICU where he will be for some time.

Now let me back up to the beginning; 28 July - they moved him to where he is now and we met his nurses CJ and Connie, who do everything for him. He is not awake mainly due to the meds they have him on, but he looks a lot better than yesterday.  29 July - He is still not awake but is reacting to pain stimuli, the swelling has started, but he stills looks better than that first night. The monitoring  numbers for his brain swelling, his blood pressure, his breathing are all in line with where they need to be for his condition today. We also found out today that he suffered an injury to his throat when they tried to intubate him in the field and they had to start adding bi carb to his breathing tube.   30 July - his swelling is greater and Connie and CJ are working the numbers to keep him even. They were going to do surgery to fix his pelvis and hip but its on hold until the swelling in his brain goes down. We met the nutritionist today, who asked about his weight and height, if he'd been losing or gaining weight. She also told us that they would be adding immune boosters and fish oils to the liquid formula his is now being feed. Of course he is being feed through a tube since he is not able to breath on his own yet.

Please continue to pray for Ian and leave messages for him. David or I will read them to him as they come in. Thank you all for your love, prays and support.

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Ian’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register