Harrison Jerome Limbeck has already had a challenging journey in his short life. He was born on January 17, 2020 at the U of M under high risk circumstances, 3 weeks early, with fluid in his lungs. After a week in the NICU we were thrilled to finally able to bring him home and settle into our new life with our sweet boy. After a couple of weeks Taylor noticed that Harrison didn't have as much range of motion in his left hip as he did in his right so we brought it up at our next appointment with the pediatrician. He referred us to Gillette orthopedics just to be safe, since Harrison was breach for so long he thought there might be some muscular issues needing attention.
Once at Gillette, they noticed a small lump above his left hip. We had an ultrasound done and the radiologist showed us a dark, round mass by his hip socket which was causing the bone to be in the cup pretty shallow but it wasn't dislocated so there wasn't much concern in that regard. However, we had to find out what this mass was. They referred us back to the U of M where he was delivered, to an orthopedic surgeon who would then do an MRI and biopsy on the tissue to see what we were dealing with. Harrison had to be put under for the MRI so the hope was to remove the mass at the same time regardless of if it was benign or not, if possible, so that he only had to be under anesthesia once. While doing the biopsy, the surgeon realized that the mass is in fact a tumor, and that it is deep inside of a very important group of gluteal muscles that could effect how Harrison walks someday. The decision was made to hold off on removal until getting the biopsy results back, so as not to do any unnecessary damage if the tumor was benign.
We waited over a week to get the results and on March 17th, Harrison's 2 month birthday, we got the call that every parent dreads. Harrison was diagnosed with a very rare form of cancer called infantile fibrosarcoma that presented itself in a quickly growing tumor, which is currently a little bigger than a golf ball. The prognosis is good because it hasn't metastasized and it hasn't spread to the bone but we have to act quickly to make sure this doesn't happen and that it doesn't get any bigger. The plan is to shrink the tumor using oral meds or chemotherapy, to about half of its current size, and then remove it surgically. We have a long road ahead and we are ready to do whatever it takes to get our little boy through this. We are so thankful for our friends and family who have offered their support. Our hearts are hurting but they are also full from the love being sent our way by so many people. Harrison is a lucky little boy to have such a big, caring army of people behind him. We can't wait to tell him how everyone came together to get him through this battle someday.https://www.gofundme.com/f/hearts-out-for-harrison