Grant Frashier

First post: Mar 22, 2020 Latest post: Jun 2, 2021
It’s been an exhausting and frustrating day at the clinic. I had a couple of tests and an appointment with the surgeon scheduled before tomorrow’s surgery. One of the tests was an angio CT to check the blood supply to the area they plan to work on. I’ve been through enough procedures to know when they see something they don’t like,and was pretty sure that this was one of those times. When I got back to the hotel I got a call from the PA who works with my surgeon. The scan revealed that I have a pulmonary embolism-a blood clot in my lung and they wanted to do an ultrasound of my legs to see if a clot had formed there as that is a common source for them. If so the surgery would have to be canceled. I had the test and no more clots were found.
We had a long talk with the PA and my surgeon had discussions with a vascular specialist and they have decided to go ahead with surgery tomorrow. It does increase the risk some but they feel that because of the type of embolism it is the risk is not extreme. It will probably increase my hospital stay through the weekend which I really do not want, and they will have to start blood thinning treatments (pills and or shots) as soon as they think it is safe to do so after the surgery. I will probably be doing that for several months.