Can you support CaringBridge during our Fall giving campaign? Generous donors like you ensure that CaringBridge remains ad-free, private and protected.
Aug 18, 2018 Latest post:
Sep 14, 2018
We are switching the way we share updates on Grandma Theresa to CaringBridge. Please feel free to share with others.
Monday Evening: Grandma Theresa fell in her home on Monday evening, August 13. She was taken by ambulance to St. Croix Falls Hospital. They determined Grandma had a compression fracture of her T6 vertebrae.
Tuesday: Grandma was in a lot of pain throughout the day. Hospital staff had a hard time keeping her pain levels under control. When her pain medications increase, her breathing is slowed and her blood pressure drops. On Tuesday, they fit her for a back brace, had her sitting in the chair (afternoonand evening).
Wednesday: Grandma's back brace was put on mid-afternoon. Still large amount of pain. Right before Scott left for the evening, the nurses staff realized Grandma had no feeling in her legs. She was given a MRI, with the results sent down to United Hospital. It was decided to have her air-lifted to United Hospital for surgery (around 10:30 pm)
After arriving at United, it was decided she would have surgery to remove the blood clot on her spine. The Neuro Surgeon said they would be removing blood clot from approximately her T1 to T10. Surgeon was not optimistic surgery would allow her to have feeling in her legs again. After surgery, Grandma's blood pressure was dangerously low.
Thursday: Doctors goal was to keep her comfortable, possible reduce ventilator. In the evening she was able to write questions, squeeze hands, nod her head in response to questions. No feeling in her legs.
Friday: 1:00 am received a call notifying Grandma needs to return to surgery. The MRI showed a large section of blood (again) on her spine. We were notified that returning to surgery is her only chance to regain movement in her legs. At 1:40 received call from surgeon restating what ICU Dr told us. Surgeon cannot identify where the blood is coming from. 6:30 am - Surgeon called to let us know everything went well (surgery actually finished around 4:00 am). He waited to call us back until he had seen the results of the post-op MRI. Everything looks good. She seemed to tolerate surgery better this time. Blood pressure was better.
10:00 am Just met with team of doctors. They are not going to take ventilator out, as she still needs high levels of fentanyl for pain. More important to keep her comfortable
7:00 pm Grandma had an angiogram today to try and identify where the bleeding was coming from requiring her to have the second surgery. The angiogram did not show anything. They do not know what caused the bleeding. A feeding tube has been put in. Grandma's heart rate, blood pressure is much better today. The goal is to remove the ventilator tomorrow.