Gordy Martin

First post: Mar 2, 2020 Latest post: Sep 14, 2020
On February 3rd Gordy had what appeared to be a seizure. I called 911 and he was taken by ambulance to Harford Memorial Hospital in Havre de Grace. When the ambulance arrived at the hospital I was informed that his blood pressure was 58/30. The emergency room staff immediately started working on him. He was maxed out on 4 different pressers , placed on a ventilator and given many units of blood to keep his blood pressure up long enough to get him to cat scan. Cat scan showed a large hematoma around his spleen. He was admitted to ICU and the doctor said he had less than 10% chance of making it through surgery. The Interventionists Radiology from Upper Chesapeake was notified and they came and coiled his spleen. For the next just over 2 weeks he had many ups and downs. I was informed that he needed a tracheostomy and Harford Memorial could not do it. So on Wednesday February 19th he was transferred to Bel air and on Thursday he was taken to OR for the trach. He continually declined and a cat scan showed possible air, blood or infection so he was taken down and a drain was inserted to drain him. 2 days later another cat scan was done and he showed possible infection, air or blood in his stomach and bowel. He was then transferred to University of Maryland Shock Trauma Critical Care Resuscitation Unit (CCRU) on the 6th floor room 11. In no time at all they had me signing papers for him to have surgery. He was immediately taken to surgery and they had to remove his infected deteriorating spleen, his peritoneal dialysis catheter and part of his stomach, bowel and pancreas. They were not able to close him up because he will need multiple surgeries so they inserted wound vacs and packed it. Then today they took him back to the OR for a "wash out" and had to cut more of his stomach lining out. He was taken back to CCRU until a bed became available in the Surgical Intensive Care Unit (SICU).  He was moved this evening to the Shock Trauma SICU 3rd floor bed 10. They are going to try and keep him stable tonight and if so he will be taken back down to OR Monday and if not, he will go back to the OR tomorrow. 
The doctors said he is not "out of the woods" that any one of the things he has had removed could put someone over the edge and he has had 4 of them. Gordy is a very very sick man and a real fighter!!  
As many of you know, we are a firm believer in Power of Prayer so many Prayers are welcomed and appreciated!!

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Gordy’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register