Glenda Rolin

First post: Aug 17, 2016 Latest post: Jun 13, 2017

On July 14, Glenda had her yearly mammogram.  On the 16th we left to go to OK.  The next week the doctor called and said that something was abnormal and she needs to come back and do a new one and also an ultrasound.  That really worried us.  We returned from Oklahoma on the 25th and the new test was on the 28th. The new test and ultrasound showed a lump that the ultrasound measured to be 3 cm. She left that appointment with a biopsy scheduled for the next Tuesday. During the biopsy they took they took 2 samples.  On Thursday we went back to the Anne Baroco Center to hear the results from the biopsy. 
The doctor told us it was cancer, grade 2. Grade 2 means that the cancer cells are moderately reproducing.
We left that visit with 2 more appointments, Aug 9 with the cancer doctor and August 11 with a surgeon.
The cancer doctor went over the treatment options with us and ordered a CT scan for the 11th. 
On the 11th we made our visit to the surgeon.  He gave us the option of a lumpectomy or a mastectomy. Because of the size of the lump, we opted for the mastectomy. He gave us a date of Aug. 17 for surgery.
On the 16th we went back to the cancer doctor to hear the results of the CT scan. He said everything looked good except for a little nodule that was on one of her lungs. He said it was about 2/10ths of and inch. He said it was too small to biopsy and it may not be anything to worry about anyway. If it was cancerous, he said that any treatments following the surgery would take care of it. 
We arrived at West Florida Hospital at 7 am and checked in. They took her back at 8:25. At 8:50, a nurse came out and said that they were beginning the surgery. About 10:00 Dr. Dial, the surgeon came out and said that they were through and that she was in the recovery room and it would be about an hour before anyone could go back. Around 10:30, a nurse came to the waiting room and said that Glenda was being moved to room 529.

One thing we have appreciated during this whole event is the speed with which the doctors and nurses worked to get us appointments and keep things moving. Sometimes it seemed a little overwhelming and scary. It caused thoughts like "This really must be bad the way they are pushing this through", and such like thoughts, but when we thought about stories we have heard of others who had to wait and wait and wait for appointments we are really thankful for their speed.

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Glenda’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register