Can you support CaringBridge during our Fall giving campaign? Generous donors like you ensure that CaringBridge remains ad-free, private and protected.
Georgia "Dodie" Huehn
May 14, 2016 Latest post:
Oct 26, 2016
Sometime Thursday night May 12th, Georgia had a stroke come on. She was brought to United Hospital in St Paul. The immediate family met with the doctors on Friday May 13th to choose her path. We were told she has a blood clot still present in her cerebellum near her brain stem. There is damage and swelling. The danger is there is not much space in that part of the skull and swelling or the blood clot can cause more damage.
The doctors said we only had a couple options. One is surgery to release pressure which would involve feeding and breathing tubes and many months of rehab if she made it. The other is to try to fight with medicine to control the swelling and dissolve the blood clot. Georgia has a do not resuscitate, DNR, order in her records that we as her family have chosen to honor. With that we are using the medicine to treat her but no surgery. We are going to have to wait it out now a few days to see what the swelling does.
If the swelling becomes too much it can be fatal and shut down her heart or lungs because of the location near the brain stem. If it goes down and the blood clot dissolves she has a chance at rehab.
She is conscious and coherent. She knows exactly where she is, what happened, and what is going on. She can talk to you if you visit and seems to be enjoying the visits. She is not able to operate her phone or talk on the phone.
There are many unknowns and questions right now but all we can do is wait and pray.