Welcome to the Evie McGerr CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support, and most of all your laughter, words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting!
I didn't choose this.... there, yes I'm not happy about it. I realized very quickly that crying won't fix it, so now that I've got my big girl panties on, I have to set the world on fire and am on my path to wellness. I'm a type A personality and it's on steroids right now - cancer - you've been tagged, you've picked the wrong girl and you're goin' down.
And because you've landed on this page, you've now been tagged as part of my cancer posse - a few rules now that you've joined my fight!
1. I found it! Thou shalt check your breasts!
Girlfriends grab the girls right now and check them - love your body, your softness, your shape and know how it feels - grab them and know what's right and what feels wrong! Get your mammograms. Guys...breast cancer has no shame - it doesn't care - you check too, but for now I'm tagging you as a bosom buddy. If you love the woman in your life, help her to love her body and check them!
2. This is not my cancer - the only appropriate response is attack and kill this.
There is an alien invasion going on in my body and the fight is real - it is going down - not me. Please don't over dramatize, analyze, speculate or give this anything but hate and your money. The only response is for us to continue to donate, walk, wear pink and act on this and every other cancer research opportunity that comes your way.
3. Remember who I am not what I have - I'm I am a woman, I am a mom, a wife, a daughter, a cousin, a niece, a friend, a co-worker, a sister, I am auntee, and some day I will be a very cool grammy!
I won't have this rule my life OR yours - please remember that I want to talk with you, about you and your life and your kids and stories that remind me that life is going on and that I am a part of it. I will post facts and updates here, but please remember that if you know me, you and I have a life together and cancer isn't welcome here.
4. Yes, I want to talk with you and see your face. Text me, call me - I will get back to you I promise and may even let people do things for me (...type A's don't ask for help).
5. Facts for the curious: Breast Cancer: ER/PR and HER2 Positive - 4mm tumor left breast (no genetic markers!! YAY!!) Attack Plan: Chemo - 6 mo starting 12/5/16, Surgery and Radiation to follow Hair loss: 12/20ish...I've already embraced this, cut my beautiful long hair to a sassy chin length! I will be rockin' the wigs and hats! Celebration: Hawaii ...TBD and here I come! Treatment team: UTSW - Simmons Cancer Center and my amazing physicians - I'm in awe of these women, Dr. Roshni Rao & Dr. Barbara Haley. Special thanks to Dr. Shelley Ramos and her entire staff - the BEST OB/GYN team on the planet!
Now that you know what I know, please don't be afraid - I need your power and your positive! My north star is Josh Allen - he fought and never cried and I have no choice but to honor his strength, his memory and to live out loud with every breath like he did. I love you Joshie! #owningit