May 19, 2022 Latest post:
Sep 29, 2023
Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting. Elisha's journey started back in March. He had been suffering from constant headaches that last all day and severe fatigue. He finally told us the week of spring break that he was feeling this way. we took him to his doctor and he was checked out. It was kinda decided based on everything going on it was stress induced and we would return in a wk if symptoms lasted . He actually started to feel better and his energy returned that following week. Move forward to end of April first part of May and Elisha is having constant headaches and severe fatigue again as well as blurred vision. He waited to tell us the first wk in May that he was feeling like this.(he says he didn't want to worry us or make it a big deal) We were able to get him in to his doctor on May 9th and we went thru the process again of checking for any neuro signs symptoms anything to try to find out what was going on. They checked his vision and he went from 20/20 to 20/40 so we were referred to a children's ophthalmologist to have his eyes checked as well as labs to rule out mono as well as other things. All the labs came back looking good and he had an eye appt on Monday 16th. The doctor was leaning towards stress again and was thinking maybe after school was out we could see how his symptoms were and maybe at that time we could do a ct or mri of his head. We headed to the appointment expecting to just be needing glasses. They did their exams and saw that Elisha had optic nerve swelling on the left side and was told it could be from either high fluid pressure on the eye or a tumor. They sent us to Children's ER. They had a mri done on Elisha not long after arriving at the er. They found a fairly large mass on the left side of his brain. They had said it was either there for along time and finally reached a point to where it was putting pressure and creating symptoms he was noticing or it was growing at a faster pace. He was admitted Mon 16th and was told he would have surgery on Tuesday 17th. On Tuesday he was taken for a hearing test and he has minor to moderate hearing loss in left ear. He was taken down to surgery (which we were told was one of the most riskiest and invasive surgeries to get)around 1045-11am and started the actual surgery around 1145 I beieve and was told it would take 4 or 5 hrs. around 630pm the doctor came in and told us that unfortunately they were only able to get 10% of the mass out and that he loss alot of blood and his blood pressure dropped too low and that made them stop. He said he got enough for a biopsy and we are still waiting for the results. Elisha received 5 units of blood and 2 bags of plasma. They have kept him intubated as well as sedated for a few reasons one being part of his skull was left off for swelling. The good news is that they said it looked like it had been there a while so that meant it was not growing fast. (Hard to believe that is the good news)He has been stable and doing good. Please see post for further updates.