Ed Vaughn

First post: Nov 22, 2016 Latest post: Dec 1, 2016
Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your prayers, support, and words of  encouragement. Thank you for visiting.

The last time I talked to my dad was Friday morning.  He was telling me how he packed up early from the hunting shack because he was having troubles sleeping.  His back was bugging him along with a few other things but that was about it.  He never complained or told me he was in any type of pain which really doesn't surprise me because my dad has never been one to complain about physical ailments.  Then I got the phone call Friday afternoon telling me that dad had a leaking abdominal aneurysm.  He was at the Cook Hospital awaiting transport to Duluth.  The two goals of the ambulance ride were to keep the blood pressure low and stay out of the ditch because 20" of snow had just been dumped on the area.  Once he arrived in Duluth, the preparations had already been underway to get him into surgery quickly.  During this time, his aneurysm ended up bursting but praise God he was at the hospital.  He was in surgery for approximately 5 hours, and the area of repair was a lot larger then anticipated.  They repaired the tear by inserting a tube that was sewn into the artery above and below the area of the tear.  Then, they covered the tube with the artery and sewed the artery back up.  Easy enough, right?   The surgeon makes it sound so simple but I have mad respect for that man.  Now he's in the ICU working towards recovery.  The progress happens little by little and each day he seems more alert.  However, they're keeping him pretty sedated to aid in his recovery and because he is on a ventilator which is quite uncomfortable I'm guessing.   They are also keeping a close watch on his kidneys because they took a pretty big hit during the surgery.  However, the numbers for his kidneys have been showing progress each day.  I also have to keep reminding myself that he's only about 3.5 days post op.  I guess that is my "in a nutshell" version of events.  If you know me, you would know that I have the ability to go off on many "rabbit trails" when I talk so I tried to keep this concise.  
I will write more later and my sister will also be adding some entries.  I just want to close with a thank you for all the prayers and support that have been shown to my dad and our family.   Please keep those prayers coming.

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Ed’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register