Ed Storck Ed Storck

First post: Jan 17, 2019 Latest post: Feb 20, 2019
Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting.
As some of you know Ed had a very serious heart attack November 29, 2018 at around 1:30 AM California time. It was a STEMI heart attack which is a 100% occlusion of a heart vessel. He had my mom call 911 and the paramedics took him straight to Queen of the Valley hospital in Napa which had a cardiac catheterization lab. He had his three stents placed within 52 minutes. They aim to have them placed within 90mins, because the faster they work the better the prognosis is. The doctor said that calling 911 and getting the timely care he got, saved his life at that point.

Ed felt well after being discharged and was going out on daily walks with a friend, but started to notice that he was having some shortness of breath, getting tired more easily and had a new cough. He saw his doctor on December 28th and they diagnosed him with some mild congestive heart failure, which means his heart was working very hard and not pumping effectively so there was some fluid building up around his heart and lungs. They gave him some medication that would force his body to get rid of fluids to help ease his symptoms.

On January 5th Ed fell in the bathroom around 2:30am after getting dizzy. He was taken to the hospital and admitted for gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding.  This can be a side effect of a medication that he is on called Plavix, which helps him not form any blood clots in the stents or anywhere else in his body. They did an endoscopy the next day and found a bleeding ulcer, so cauterized it in hopes of stopping the bleeding. He had another episode of bleeding on Wednesday, so another endoscopy was done and fixed that same ulcer again. He continued to have more episodes of GI bleeding, so Sunday 13th he had an another endoscopy to try to go in and stop the source of bleeding one more time. 

At some point that morning he had a stroke, possibly during the procedure, but it is unclear. His symptoms were mild at first, with just some left sided weakness, which was initially attributed to the procedure being done on his left side. No facial paralysis or changes to speech. He did seem confused and that began to worsen so my mom alerted the nurse and they began assessing for a stroke around 5:00pm. His left side worsened over night and his speech became more slurred. His memory is intact and he is still joking around with his family and those that are taking care of him. He is building up his strength now doing physical therapy and occupational therapy. When he is strong enough he will step down to a stroke rehabilitation center. His recovery at this point is day by day and hour by hour, but we are taking every minute with him!

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Ed’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register