Dorinne Thompson

First post: Aug 14, 2019 Latest post: May 17, 2021
Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting.
In late April, Mom was having noticeable symptoms of Bells Palsy. Around that same time she had developed a very bad cold and laryngitis. So at first Doctors were thinking there could have been a possible infection leading to the symptoms of Bells Palsy. However, the symptoms didn't seem to go away or diminish. So, an MRI was ordered. 
On June 12, Mom had an MRI up in Fargo at Sanford around approximately 12 o'clock. About 2 o'clock her primary doctor called and wanted to see her right away the next day at 3PM. That may have been the longest hour of our life at that moment as we waited to hear the news about what was going on. 
That evening, lets just say it won't ever be forgotten. Mom arrived back at home and with an emotional stance began telling and calling each one of us kids and then family members. She had told us that there was a tumor in her Brain that was causing pressure to cause all these symptoms. What they needed to determine next was whether it was malignant or cancerous. 
So, mom and dad scheduled an appointment to meet with the Neurosurgeon up at Sanford in Fargo - Dr. Jackson,  who was wonderful and mom trusted him fully to complete the biopsy. 
On  July 12th  exactly 1 month from the first MRI, mom had her Biopsy done. All went very smoothly thanks to Dr. Jackson and his team. We were so thankful! However, when the doctor met with us, he was very straight forward. I still remember his words so clearly. I'm so sorry but i do not believe it is what we were hoping for. At that point we knew each of us kids and Dad that it was most likely cancerous and now we had to wait another week to find out which Stage it was. It would either be Stage 3 or Stage 4 but hoping and praying for Stage 3. 
About a week later we found out it was a Cancerous Tumor and it was Stage 4  Glioblastoma. We were all devastated, to say the least. As Glioblastoma has no full cure. 
Monday, July 29, Mom was having a great day.  She went to a t-ball game, was hanging out with her Twin Sister Darlene, and even did a little shopping. Early afternoon she had her fitting for her radiation cap, which was very emotionally draining for Mom. About 1 hour later she had a sensation that she couldn't feel her hands, speaking was getting harder, and so dad took her straight back to the cancer center. From there they rushed up to Fargo to Sanford to the ER. Mom had suffered 1 seizure on the way and another while she was in the ER.  All of us kids rushed up to be with Dad in the waiting room and wait for the news of what was going on. We were just thankful to hear that she had not had a Stroke at that point. However, the next week was one of the hardest weeks for all of us so far. The next day when we arrived Mom was suffering right in front of us. She did not recognize us, couldn't speak, couldn't eat, and was just having so much difficulty with what was just fine the day before. This continued for a couple of days until it began to improve with baby steps. Slowly she could say some words, started to recognize us some, could eat soft foods, and wanted Dad to be near her at all times. 
This was 2 days prior to the entire family coming up and being with mom and dad before all treatment would begin, taking family pictures and enjoying our time together as a family. So, luckily everyone was already coming up this week at this point. We chose to still do the family pictures with just us kids and a few with dad and all the boys. All of us kids would go up each day and be there to be present for mom and dad and sit with them when we could.  On Saturday we made it a whole day with all family together.  By then she was able to at least be stable enough for the Grandkids to come say hi quietly and sit with her for a little bit. This gave her so much joy. We all stayed at the hotel up in Fargo to be with Dad, which was so nice. 
Mom finally escaped as she would say:) out of the Hospital that next Monday. Dad has her home and that is where she will be. Resting comfortably :) She is very happy about that! 
Radiation would have begun that Monday she got out of the Hospital but she just was not stable enough to sit for that period of time and begin chemo. So, they waited one more week. 
Mom will begin Radiation and Chemo Orally tomorrow August 12th. 
We ask that you pray with us as she goes through Radiation and Chemo and pray that the cancer responds to this and shrinks to give Dad and us kids and family more time with our Sweet Mom. 
Each day is a new day and we are so thankful for Her. We Trust in the Lord and that His plan is Sufficient. At this time we are making sure to have the most quality Family time with Mom and making every moment count. 
Mom is so strong and is at Peace knowing where she will spend Eternity, in Heaven with our Lord and Savior.  Her absolute favorite things to do are read scripture, do devotions right next to our Dad, and listen and sing/hum to her favorite Christian music quietly while she sits and sleeps. 
For the Battle is not yours, But Gods.

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Dorinne’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register