Tuesday, April 14th, Donnie was admitted into Woodwinds Hospital with having trouble breathing. Very early Wednesday morning, he was put on a ventilator. He had a blood clot in his heart and fluid around his lungs. By Thursday morning his condition had deteriorated and his kidneys and liver began to fail. He did have a Covid test that came back negative. Thursday afternoon it had been determined that comfort care was called for and medications and the ventilator were removed and a DNR was put in place. Friday his liver improved a little and he also began to come around a little more. Donnie did not have a health care directive so Andi, Jess and Jason had a family conference with the Dr. Friday to talk about options. What they determined was that they would wean Donnie off some of the meds and Andi would talk to him to see what his wishes are. He has opened his eyes a few times and comes around a little. So, he did come to a little bit. After discussion within the family, and even with Donnie, it was decided that some medications would be reintroduced. It's hard to not get your hopes up, but we still don't know the outcome. He is by no means out of the woods and is still in critical condition.
They have already determined they can't do a coagulant because his blood is too thin, they have started him on antibiotics and a diuretic. They have to check his kidneys and liver to see what they can do, if anything.
The danger is that the blood clot in his heart could travel to his brain. His kidneys may never function properly and he may have to be on dialysis for the rest of his life.
He will not be placed on a ventilator (he is breathing on his own currently, though shallow) and he still has a DNR in place due to his heart being weak.
Please pray for a miracle for Donnie, knowledge for the doctors and nurses and peace and strength for his family. Our God is a mighty God!