Diane Schroeder2

First post: Jan 13, 2019 Latest post: Feb 18, 2019
Another medical adventure for Diane.  For those not familiar with what happened last year see the Caring Bridge entry under Diane Schroedrer.  I start this story by coping messages to our children which brings the History current:

At University of Chicago emergency room. Mom started with abdominal pain overnight and throughout the day it's progressed to distention with some nausea. She has not passed anything since yesterday. Could be a bowel obstruction due to her Crohn's. Awaiting results of blood work and she will then go for a cat of her abdomen which should tell the story. Will keep you posted.

1-13-2019 (very early am)

Making progress. Mom is in the ER room and has an IV has been given some pain medication which is affective and an anti-nausea drug. She's drinking the prep for the CT scan when she's done with that they'll take her up and then do it. I have seen three doctors so far all really sharp guys. It is possible that what she has is not the Crohn's but that the diverticulitis has come back. The CT scan will show this and when we have this info will be in touch with everybody. Mom's white count is sky high at 28,000 and I suspect this argues in favor of the diverticulitis.

The cat shows a general inflammation of both intestines. The surgical resident was here and we also talked to the er doc. They have not decided on plan but mom will be admitted. The senior surgical resident was here and opined that there was no need for immediate surgery and they would probably try medical treatment first. She has to talk with her boss Dr Umansky, the surgeon who we have seen before. Next step is get a room. Will not see anymore docs until day shift comes on. Will not be at baptism please handle Liz and John. Liz--water on my desk put half in the stopper bottle and handle

Mom and I just woke up, got about three hours sleep, but solid. We are in room 8020 which is similar to the room mom was in the last time after she got out of ICU, big. Jenelle asked about the surgery and this would consist of cutting out the inflamed portions of the small and large intestine and sewing it back together. Very standard treatment for what she has and it eliminates the source of inflammation. The medical approach is just antibiotics and rest in the digestive track by not eating. If that works we can put off the decision on surgery. My guess is that the earliest we will get out is toward the end of the week. We haven't seen anybody yet this morning and Sundays tend to be a bit sleepy here. She is feeling better this morning, she had her last pain shot around four and it still working. Will let you know when we know more.

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Diane’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register