Diane Newcomb

First post: Jan 18, 2020 Latest post: Oct 15, 2020

Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting.
I hope that you understand that this just makes it so much easier for me to let the ones who want to know what is going on with me.  I pretend to be anything that I am not but I will tell you that without God I could not have survived the life I have lived to this day and even more what I am facing in my future. 
I was born into a wonderful Christian family, not perfect but loving.  When I was just an infant I was told by my parents and Rev. and Sister I. E. Wilson that I quit breathing. Scared my parents to death, but Sister Wilson grabbed me by my feet and shook me upside down and popped me on the back. It cause me to gasp for air and I started breathing again turns out I had Whooping Cough.  So one may say from a very early age God had a plan for me and nothing was going to stand in his way.
I grew up and loved going to church every time the doors was open and went to youth rallies all around the area. While I was still in elementary school on a Wednesday evening our family was getting ready to go to prayer meeting at church when Dad was reclining on the sofa he started having problems breathing, major chest pains, and his hands and legs were cold. Mother called the doctor and he said dad's heart wasn't pumping right, and he probably wouldn't make it to the hospital.  Well, Mother wasn't hearing any of that and she called the elders and deacons to come to our living room. Now it was a small church so it seemed like half the church shows up and they begin to pray for my dad. Now I don't know if you believe in miracles but I know for a fact that same night, my dad got up, dressed and attended prayer meeting with us and had a great testimony. So I know God still performs miracles. My dad had already survived WWII and now God had once again taken care of him.  
Fast forward to 1959. Our family moved to Evansville, Indiana. I had to adjust from a very small school to a three story school with  hundreds of students and it seemed like more room than I could work through. My brothers go into the Army and are shipped off to Vietnam.  My one brother was prisoner of war but we did not find out until much later we just know there was no letters anymore. He finally returned home as did my other brother. 
My mother had a heart attack which was accredited to heart disease.  Dad always was sure to take good care of her. 
I married shortly after high school and had two beautiful children, but the man I married was not for me, he was abusive and after just a few years we divorced.
After awhile I met my now husband, Don, and he loved my children and wanted to include them in everything.  He loved me enough to take them and me as a package deal.  We married October 7, 1967 in Bethel Temple on Lincoln Avenue.  Rev. RR. Schwambach officiated.  
We had two more children so now our family was complete with two girls and two boys.  We had our good times and our bad times just like most families.  
In 1999 my husband had an accident during work hours in the company van and had to undergo his fourth back surgery from different accidents and this one was the final one because he would never be able to work again. So we survived over two years of tough times to get him on disability and get our life back on track.
 In 2006, we sold our house and with our youngest daughters help we was building a new home in Las Vegas where we could be close to her and her family for the first time ever. We sold our home in on April 1, 2006 and on April 3, 2006 she was involved in a horrible accident and was unconscious. Our family all flew out there to be with her,  and she stayed in a coma for almost two months, so we had to go back to Indiana to pack because the movers were already scheduled, and the kids had to get back to work.  Don and I got everything ready for the movers and went back to Vegas.  On Mother's Day 2006, Dona was moved to hospice because they had decided that she would not be able to survived.  On May 26, 2006, God called her home.  I had left earlier that evening telling Don I would not be coming home that evening. I cannot explain it but I felt she was taking her final journey that night.  About midnight I was so tired I felt as if I would pass our so I prayed and ask God to please wake me up to be with Dona when she left this life.  Around 3:45 or 4:00 am I was awaken and went over to her bed. Her breathing was shallow and I just held her hand and told her how much everyone loved her but that God loved her more and prayed. I quoted the verse from the Bible, II Timothy 4:7-8, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing."  Only I changed the I to you.  After that she just took a breath and she was gone.  That was so hard but God granted my request.
Don was diagnosed with cancer in 2007, had surgery,  then again in 2010 he was diagnosed with another cancer, had BCG Instillations,  again in 2011 yet another cancer all stemming from the 2007 cancer, and finally in 2017 he was diagnosed with cancer again and this time they said he will remain in treatment for his life time.  So he has had experience with the big C.
Then in 2010 both of my parents went to be with the Lord within just a few days of each other and we had a double funeral for them.  Once again that was something they had prayed for was to go to Heaven together.  At least they was close and once again God was my strength.
September 2011, our youngest son and his wife were riding their motorcycle home from dinner when a lady broadsided them and long story short they both lost their left lower leg.  They had just gotten married August 4 so they were still newlyweds.  

February 2014, I had my regular physical and when my mammogram came back I needed a Ultra Sound, then I needed a Biopsy, and it was decided I had Cancer, I had surgery and then had to undergo radiation treatments.  I completed by treatments with only one hiccup when I was burnt and had to postpone the rest of the treatments for two weeks to heal.  The all was good until it wasn't. 

September 2018 my older brother, Jerry went to be with the Lord, he had been in poor health for several years and his last incident he fell during the night striking his face on his bedside table breaking all the bones in his face.  He was so bad they couldn't even operate for quite some time,  he was on a vent and it didn't look good.  He never wanted to be on life support of any kind, so the doctors spoke with Linda and they decided to wean him off the vent, he did real good.  So they were able to finally take him off completely.  I had gone down to be with Linda and close to my brother and finally on Saturday I came home to clean up rest one night do my wash and planned on returning Sunday.  They were planning on doing the first surgery on Monday if he was strong enough.  The surgical team came in to check him out on Sunday afternoon,  they had just cleared him for the surgery the next day and left his room.  He doctor came in check him over and had just walked out of the room and Jerry had a pulmonary embolism and was gone before he could get back in the room.  Don and I was on our way to Evansville to pick up something for me to take back down there with me when I got the call from Linda.  Fast forward to November 12, 2019, I was moving furniture to clean around and under it to complete my fall house cleaning. I messed up and lifted the wrong way and hurt my back. I had a CT and found out I had two slipped disc,  I took medicine and hoping it would heal.  Placing all the blame on me because I was so stupid to lift the wrong way when I knew better.  Anyway before beginning therapy my PCP wanted me to have an MRI.  Thank God because it showed what the CT did not that the slipped disc were only a minor problem, because I had a larger problem, called Metastatic Disease.  So then I need to see my Oncologist, and a Neurosurgeon.  I see my Oncologist and he says I need a Guided Deep Bone Biopsy, and a PET/CT, also that I should start radiation ASAP.  That was December 27, 2019.  I called Dr. Greco in Nashville, TN the Oncologist Don has been seeing since November 2017, and he accepted me as a patient. 
Dr. Braden also told me I needed to see my dentist to have a full mouth evaluation since I will need to take a bone strengthening medication.  I made an appointment with Dr. Buedel for Monday, January 6, I already have an appointment scheduled with Dr. Greco January 8, and I received a call from the Neurosurgeon and was scheduled to see him on January 9, then I get the call that my insurance has approved my PET/CT so they scheduled me for January 13, and then I received a call from Deaconess Express Radiology to schedule the Guided Deep Bone Biopsy and that will take place January 10.  That is a full week of appointments.  

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Diane’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register