Dean Thompson

First post: Feb 24, 2017 Latest post: Oct 24, 2018
Dad had been more tired the beginning of this week and sleeping more than usual. He was trying to rest up and get ready for his granddaughter's wedding which is today.  Tuesday morning he woke up as usual but went back to bed shortly after. Around 11:00 am he was sitting by my mom at the table and she asked him to sign a wedding card and all he would say was yup. Whenever she asked him anything all he would say was yup.  Mom called the ambulance and they loaded him up and took him into Monte. While there, his symptoms were consistent with a stroke so they began treating him for that. All of his blood work was off the charts in many areas so they decided to take him by helicopter to North Memorial Medical Center inMinneapolis.  That didn't go as planned as when they got dad in the helicopter he became agitated  so they brought him back into the ER to sedate and incubate him. When they got him back to the helicopter they noticed the monitors were not working so they had to wait for another helicopter from the cities. They finally got him to MSP about 6pm where Hope, Mike, Joy, Mom, Bill & Paulette Haff, and I met him in the Stabilization room.  Initial tests showed dad was in acute kidney failure, pneumonia, and possible stroke.  Stroke could not be confirmed because of the heavy sedation.  The doctor's main area of concern was his 5% kidney function so they started him on kidney dialysis that night.  That seemed to work very well for his left kidney but his right is much more damaged so that one is still struggling.  Wednesday an MRI and CT was done and our prayers for no stroke were answered. We were so thankful, but last night we were dealt the heavy blow that in the CT scan they saw many 'spots' on dad's spine, ribs, femurs, shoulder, and jaw. They said without talking with oncology it's more than likely cancer that has metastasized to the bones from prostate cancer, which would explain why the kidneys were blocked from the enlarged prostrate which brought him to kidney failure.  We  haven't been able to talk to him at all as they have kept him sedated.  They are thinking of removing the incubation tube but we won't know anything without talking to oncology. We can't get answers fast enough but we are praying for a miracle.

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Dean’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register